• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3.8 Mustang Cam

98Stang

I've noticed a lot of people change their cam in their 3.8. Sounds pretty damn sick!!

What are the benefits of doing this swap? Also any negatives with doing it? If I wanted to do this what would be a good one for a 98 3.8

Here is the vid that I saw about it

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
I've noticed a lot of people change their cam in their 3.8. Sounds pretty damn sick!!

What are the benefits of doing this swap? Also any negatives with doing it? If I wanted to do this what would be a good one for a 98 3.8

Here is the vid that I saw about it

Beside them sounding good a good performance camshaft is usually spec'd for your setup and where you want your powerband to be. If you are putting them on a stock engine not really worth it IMO...

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Alright cool, I got the CAI and Exhaust. I know what pulleys to get, what do you recommend for gears? 3.73's or 4.10's or something else?

Stick or Auto?

You can go with 3.73, you will get a noticeable off the line acceleration, and still won't kill your highway crusibility.
4.10 are great for maximum performance, but I would go with the 3.73s if you want a more DD-friendly rear gear.

However if you have an Auto, I would go with 4.10...

NOTE: don't forget that you'll need to recalibrate your PCM/speedo for the new gears!

98Stang

Stick or Auto?

You can go with 3.73, you will get a noticeable off the line acceleration, and still won't kill your highway crusibility.
4.10 are great for maximum performance, but I would go with the 3.73s if you want a more DD-friendly rear gear.

However if you have an Auto, I would go with 4.10...

NOTE: don't forget that you'll need to recalibrate your PCM/speedo for the new gears!

its an auto. and if i go w/ 4.10's won't it cruise at an a lot higher rpm?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
don't need to pull out stats.. Just ask me..:) I have owned every year mustang and tried every part know to man..:)