• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

30 Series Tires in San Diego

SN95cobra04

So I have a question and want to know if anybody else has this problem. All the freeways in San Diego have those groves in them like they took a rake to it when they laid the concrete making it a little wavy. I have 295/30/18 in the rear and when I get on it those little groves in the concrete take the tires wherever they want, usually making the rear of my car sway back and forth. It will even do it at normal driving speed sometimes too. The back end will just get jerked with the grooves in the concrete. On paved as-fault there are no problems at all so this is the only thing i can think of. Does anybody else in SD have 30 series tires and experience this too? I'm pretty sure I will be looking for 40 series tires but those are limited to like 3 choices for 18" rims.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I have 35 series, 295/35/18. I don't have the issue you posted. I don't think its the tires. With those road conditions, it really don't matter what size of tires you have, its going to do that. I think the only option would be to have wider tires and not taller walls, to possibly eliminate that problem.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
So I have a question and want to know if anybody else has this problem. All the freeways in San Diego have those groves in them like they took a rake to it when they laid the concrete making it a little wavy. I have 295/30/18 in the rear and when I get on it those little groves in the concrete take the tires wherever they want, usually making the rear of my car sway back and forth. It will even do it at normal driving speed sometimes too. The back end will just get jerked with the grooves in the concrete. On paved as-fault there are no problems at all so this is the only thing i can think of. Does anybody else in SD have 30 series tires and experience this too? I'm pretty sure I will be looking for 40 series tires but those are limited to like 3 choices for 18" rims.

My truck use to do that with low series tires never my mustang... What tires do you have?

SN95cobra04

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position with a correction on the size. They are 285/30/18, not 295's like I thought. So maybe wider will help with this issue. My friend used to have 30 series tires on his Mazda and I remember it doing the same thing.