• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Anti Street Racing Information

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I was recently contacted about joining a new web based forum. It is an anti street racing forum and organization. I have signed onto it and urge all of you to also sign up. The organization's name is Car Clubs Against Street Racing. www.CCASR.org. If you register please make sure you list Wickedstangs as your club on the userCP. WickedStangs Mustang Club has also signed on as a Supporting club. We were one of the first clubs to sign on to help the fight against street racing. On the site you will find loads of information such as Legal Tracks, resources, and how to help.

Street racing in the San Diego had 16 deaths in 2002. Since that time, due to the efforts of organizations such as Racelegal, there were 12 in 2007. That number is a spike in the norm as 2003-2006 saw a total of 11 deaths combined. From 2001-2006 there were 805 nationwide deaths. 188 of those were from the state of California and 128 from the great state of Texas. These numbers are high but they are not as accurate as alcohol related deaths(12,998 in 2007). The reason for them not being accurate is people do not admit to street racing while the alcohol tells the story most of the time.

If you do a search for street racing on Youtube or google, you will find many young kids out racing each other. These kids have just barely gotten their license in some cases. On the other side of that you will also find the 50-60 year olds that are involved as well. This "Epidemic" as it was called in San Diego in 2002, has no demographics to it. Mainly younger crowds but there are old, young, black, white, asian, female and male street racers out there.

In the state of California, if you are found to be at an orgaized street racing function, your car will be impounded and held. If you are actually racing and caught, Cali can now crush your car for it. Not to mention the jail time that could come with it if you crash and hit/kill someone! There are more laws and penalties for it also. Please be smart on the streets! We want as many members as we can have and would hate to lose any of you in a senseless game.

For more crash information please see this site: http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

For accident pictures see this site: http://www.car-accidents.com/racing-accidents-crash.html

To get involved and show that WickedStangs Mustang Club is dedicated to helping fight against street racing please see: http://ccasr.org/index.php

CCASR has its own Myspace account as well: http://www.myspace.com/ccasr

Wickedstangs is proud to be a:
CCASR-SupportingClub-175x175.png

Thank you for reading and I hope to see you log into the CCASR to show that WSMC supports the cause.

Gibs07GTcpe

DISCLAIMER: WickedStangs Mustang Club does not support or endorse street racing. If you choose to street race, WickedStangs will not be held liable for anything that arises from your taking art in those type of activities. WSMC is an open site as far as others viewing the information on it. If you street race beware of what you post.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
Gibs,

While I applaud your concern and wanting to get involved, I can't support this.

Reason being is what Marcus said here in post #11:

http://mustangcanada.com/forums/racing-forum/5216-car-clubs-against-street-racing.html

I will never openly show support for any anti-street-racing initiative.... Why? Because I am not a hypocrite.

Whilst I would personally punch any reckless driver in the mouth, I will not stand up and openly oppose the current interpretation of street racing because that is to lend support to the mindless morons in the government who have made it their aim to stamp out any form of car related individuality.

Unfortunately, here in Ontario at least, the [official] definition of street racing has taken on a new and wholly unrealistic form.
Instant bans and car impounding by a single Cop in a foul mood is bad enough, but having our cars openly at risk of being snatched and crushed every minute of the day [even from our own property] because they are, or are being, modified, and as such "prepared for racing" is a leap into the ludicrous.
- Getting a street racing ban for revving a motor, or peeling out on a back road ?
- 150kph alone on a HWY at 4am = Street racing. WTF???

Where does it end?

According to the law, every car at our local show’n’shine is in breach of these laws as they are all modified to some degree, and I include the restored classics. All it would take is some fascist Cam Woolley wannabe cop to drive in with a fleet of tow trucks and there wouldn’t be a darn thing to do about him impounding every car there, and before you say it, it’s what these f**kers are gunning for, it could happen under this legislation…. Is that what we want?

The whole array of new anti-street-racing related laws are not only totally ridiculous but they are ill conceived. If they want to reduce the accidents on our highways they should wake up and take a drive on our roads to really see what the problems are, and there are PLENTY.

Do I think guys burning down the highway in the daytime 170kph weaving through traffic should be banned? Yes, of course I do.

Do I object to a couple of good old boys running their cars on a quiet back road at 3AM? Hell no.

Do I object to the Mini-Van ripping down the HWY at 120kph with the driver balancing his/her attention between his/her Timmies & his/her cell phone and screeching across 3 lanes to grab his/her exit at the last microsecond because he/she was too busy texting? Hell yes, they should be strung up. .
But what is the government doing about that? Sweet F**k all, that’s what. EVERY SINGLE DAY you will see such driving on the roads as wouldn’t be believed, and it’s RARELY anything to do with speed, yet the ****s overlook that and concentrate on the easy targets.

Ask me to sign a petition to ban cellphones/coffee/applying makeup/reading maps/eating and I’ll be all over it but until they rethink the street racing thing I’m out.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
DISCLAIMER: WickedStangs Mustang Club does not support or endorse street racing. If you choose to street race, WickedStangs will not be held liable for anything that arises from your taking art in those type of activities. WSMC is an open site as far as others viewing the information on it. If you street race beware of what you post.

To play Devil's Advocate;

If WS doesn't condone Street Racing, why is there a "Street Encounter" forum on here for posting "Street Kills"?

Don't give me the "All of those happened in Mexico".

It's either one or the other, there is no both.

My 2 cents

Jack

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Because people will still do it. We can not stop them. All we can do is tell them that THE CLUB does not condone it. It is their choice to do it and to talk about it....that is the freedom of speech portion. A street kill doesnt have to be a 150 MPH race through town. If I leave a light, dont break the tires and slow up before going over the speed limit, and I had the other guy by 2 lengths......that would be a street kill that would be a stretch for a cop to ticket.

Anyway, yes I agree with that guy to a point. I dont have an issue with most of that stuff. The really big issue is the organized street racing "Fast and the Furious" type crap. The normal guy that pulls up to a light in a Mustang and races from the light against a Camaro isnt the biggest problem. And most times the cops will not view that as Street Racing, they will say something to the effect of excessive show of speed. But it is still SR.

You do not have to support it, only if you want to. No pressure at all and I understand why you dont want to.

Gib

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
Because people will still do it. We can not stop them. All we can do is tell them that THE CLUB does not condone it. It is their choice to do it and to talk about it....that is the freedom of speech portion. A street kill doesnt have to be a 150 MPH race through town. If I leave a light, dont break the tires and slow up before going over the speed limit, and I had the other guy by 2 lengths......that would be a street kill that would be a stretch for a cop to ticket.

Anyway, yes I agree with that guy to a point. I dont have an issue with most of that stuff. The really big issue is the organized street racing "Fast and the Furious" type crap. The normal guy that pulls up to a light in a Mustang and races from the light against a Camaro isnt the biggest problem. And most times the cops will not view that as Street Racing, they will say something to the effect of excessive show of speed. But it is still SR.

You do not have to support it, only if you want to. No pressure at all and I understand why you dont want to.

Gib

Gibs,

That is where you are wrong.

I got lit up by a San Diego County Sheriff Deputy for "Excessive Acceleration to the Speed Limit" because I left a light to get over a lane, no spinning of tires, didn't even chirp them. Yep, you read that right!

What about the reports of people leaving Meets and getting pulled over so the Police can search for modifications condusive to "Street Racing"? A Super Charger is a modification.

All I am saying is, be VERY careful of what you support and wish for, it can and will come back to bite you.

How do I know this? I was very active in offroading and Land Use, some of the things that offroaders embraced years ago have now come back to bite them in the a$$! They are losing rights and lots of land because of it.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I would really like to know the other side of the story for those leaving the Q and getting nailed.....I have seen the way people rip out of there........

I am not going to argue with you about it. It is what it is. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Gib

yosemiddysam

Donator
I used to try to race everyone but now it seems I race to keep up with anyone and normally my car is faster.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
I would really like to know the other side of the story for those leaving the Q and getting nailed.....I have seen the way people rip out of there........

I am not going to argue with you about it. It is what it is. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Gib

It didn't happen at the Q, this was people leaving a meet in Riverside County.

Give me a few and I will find the link.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/23/2302.asp

California: Police Raid Car Enthusiast Gathering, Generate Revenue

Police raid Riverside, California parking lot to issue modified car tickets at local car enthusiast gathering.

Using $503,000 in federal and state gas tax revenue to pay for overtime, nine police agencies in Riverside, California sent more than one hundred police officers to surround a gathering of automotive enthusiasts. Owners of imported sport compact cars had gathered at the Canyon Crossing shopping center on Friday night to swap stories, talk about their passion for cars and show off the latest enhancements to their rides. At around 11pm police surprised participants by blocking all exits with fifty police cruisers. Officers then began a warrantless search and interrogation operation of the 150 vehicles that were present.

"If you're not into street racing, why would you need that?" Riverside Police Traffic Sergeant Skip Showalter asked an enthusiast during a similar crackdown last year. "Why would you want more power going to your car?"

Police issued a total of forty-eight tickets for "engine modifications" with police accusing the owners of the parked vehicles of being street racers. Another fifty tickets were issued for paperwork violations, dark window tinting and lack of a front license plate. The most revenue, however, will be generated from the fees imposed on twenty vehicles that were confiscated. Despite labeling the parking lot raid as taking place at a "street racing venue," Riverside Police offered no evidence that any street racing actually took place.

Across the state, gas tax funds are regularly used to fund similar crackdowns that generate big revenue. In 2004, the California Highway Patrol issued a total of 101,553 "modified car" citations worth $10.5 million according to CHP data obtained by TheNewspaper.

Other law enforcement agencies participating in Friday night's raid included the California Highway Patrol, Riverside County Sheriff's Department, and police from Baldwin Park, Fontana, Irwindale, Moreno Valley, Ontario and Mount San Jacinto Community College.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I am sure they were doing nothing wrong....Yes it was done at the Q too. but that was already taken care of.

I tinted my windows, fully knowing that sometime, I am going to get hit for it and have to fix it. Everyone that mods their cars takes the risk. I am sure that group was not singled out because they were sitting there just hanging out.

Gib

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
Look, all I am asking is to look into what they are advocating before jumping in with both feet.

Is Street Racing killing people, yes.

Should we as enthusiast of the Mustang be penalized because we like to modify our cars, no.

This is a two edged sword, be very careful of what the WickedStangs name is attached to, even if it is an individual signing on and claiming WS as a Club.

Has Emilio ok'd members to use WS as their "Club Affiliaton"?

All it takes is a wreck, no racing involved, WS get's brought up as a Club in a "suspected" street race by the police or the press and it will hit the fan.

Jack

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Has Emilio ok'd members to use WS as their "Club Affiliaton"?

I have permission if you would like to verify it ( wickedstangs@wickedstangs.com )........this post would not be here without it. Also, this exact topic was spoke of at the Monthly meeting last night. The overall consensus was approval to be involved.

Gib

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I agree with the need to ban street racing as it is dangerous and will eventually leads to injuries and the lost of life. I applaud Gibs for his conviction in making this happen.
However, my concern is the loosely interpretation of the law as we have now. The law allows each cops to interprete as they believe what is street racing, the law is much too vague and general.
I will support any legislation that will make enforcement of street racing more effective. At the same time, I want to make sure the law is fair and not a general across the board that would hurt all of us.
I have been involved with sweeps dealing with street racing while working with a local police agency. I can tell you most time its legit and those caught were or participated in an illegal street race. But there are times I have also seen cars being pulled over because the mufflers were too loud and end up the vehicle being inspected and towed because of modification made to the motor and the cop see that as "modifications for purpose of street racing."
All I'm saying is be careful what is being supported and again, I applaud Gibs for making us aware of this organization out there and what they are supporting.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I do like the stiffer penalties for being involved with the organized street racing. I like that the cars are being crushed too. I also do not like that the cops are able to basically search and ticket whatever they want. But how many times has someone got nailed for drugs after getting pulled over for a tail light out. It is the same theory. They have the right to search he vehicle to make sure everything is legal. That is not just against street racing.

Gib

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I just went to check out the site and looks to be a very good cause. I'm hoping it will get big enough where it can educate the police to the difference between street racing and car enthusiaste with mod car for track racing only. Also to promote legislation that will be fair to the gearheads that mod their cars for enjoyment and run on tracks. Many cops are gearheads, too and its the few that gives us a hard time.

HisPony

Wondering where I am!?!?
I just went to check out the site and looks to be a very good cause. I'm hoping it will get big enough where it can educate the police to the difference between street racing and car enthusiaste with mod car for track racing only. Also to promote legislation that will be fair to the gearheads that mod their cars for enjoyment and run on tracks. Many cops are gearheads, too and its the few that gives us a hard time.

X2

M

Mustangcwo

I will admitt that I like to play around on the street once in awhile, but I keep it all in perspective. If you cant do the time, don't do the CRIME. It does not matter why you mod your car, it is still ILLEGAL!!!! If you get caught you pay!!!