• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

battery acting up

98 Bumble Bee

I need help. My battery light on the dash of my 98 cobra is on. Along with the ABS light. The battery meter is to the H. I replaced the battery but the problem still has not been solved. Any advise is appreciated.

02gt

how long did you let the car sit with out the battery in it....may want to let it sit for at least 10 minutes with out the battery hooked up and the abs sensor is a little magnetic sensor that collects metal debris and is probably covered, just clean them off and see if that helps

Tommy

I had the battery off for about 45 mins. The ABS sensor is located where again.

at each spindle/axle. It has a plastic/rubber line that may seem like a brake line, and at the end is placed next to what appears to look like gears at the spindle (axle in the rear). Clean the debris off and it may correct the issue.

02gt

well i guess pull it off and take it to get tested at the parst store...

DrunkFatguy

That was my second guess. But I thought bad altinators wouldnt charge your battery. not pull more power out of it.

Short to ground in the ABS system like a stuck solenoid in the HCU grounding out putting the light on and Maxxing out your Alternator? May not be the battery or a sensor at all, You may need to pull DTC's before going on a wild goose chase.

spdpilot

You want to check the voltage on the terminals of the battery. The voltage while the car is running should be at least 13.8 volts and no higher then 15 volts. 13.8 is the minimum.

M

Mustangcwo

You dont have to pull it off to test the alternator. A general test is to start the car, then remove the positive or negative lead from the battery post and see if the car runs. If the car is still running, turn on the headlights and dasboard climate control fan to high. If the car is still running, your alternator is fine. If it stalls or begins to cough and gag, take the alternator to have tested.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
You dont have to pull it off to test the alternator. A general test is to start the car, then remove the positive or negative lead from the battery post and see if the car runs. If the car is still running, turn on the headlights and dasboard climate control fan to high. If the car is still running, your alternator is fine. If it stalls or begins to cough and gag, take the alternator to have tested.

I've read that it's a bad idea on computer controlled car. When you unhook the battery cable there can be a voltage spike that can fry electronics i.e. your computer. I know people have done this without issue, but there is a first time for everything.

M

Mustangcwo

I've read that it's a bad idea on computer controlled car. When you unhook the battery cable there can be a voltage spike that can fry electronics i.e. your computer. I know people have done this without issue, but there is a first time for everything.

Yes, I've done it on dozens of cars without an issue...but I guess hell could freeze over tonight.

98 Bumble Bee

OK so I have checked the the altenator and it is above 13.8v. There are some extra wires that also connect to the battery terminals. I was told mabey they are from the alarm. This morning I unpluged them and left for work. Then the cars heater didnt work. It also started to overheat. I then pulled over and pluged the wires back in and it cooled off quikly and started acting normal. But then after work the battery was dead. I jumped it and it was acting up again. I cant figure out what is up. I guess I am going to have to go and take it to a mechanic. Unless anyone has a Idea of a Idea of somthing I may be able to do myself.