• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cam Question for 5.0

wickedbird

I got the build sheet from JBA for the motor in my car and the cam seemed a little small. I am not sure what brand it is but it is a hyd roller with .480/.480 lift. Is it worth it changing to a F303 with .512 lift? What cams do you guys suggest?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
remember if you change a cam your are going to have to measure piston to valve clearance.. Back in the days the largest cam without checking piston to valve clearance was the E-303 with a .498 lift...

wickedbird

remember is you change a cam you are going to have to measure piston to valve clearance.. Back in the days the largest cam without checking piston to valve clearance was the E-303 with a .498lift...
So changing to a E303, is it worth it? My piston to deck clearance is .018.

wickedbird

For some reason on the build sheet it didn't list the CC. It just listed 8.5:1 compression and they are Eldebrock heads.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
All great questions Emilio. Bird, since the car engine is custom built, you will need more information before you can determine your max cam lift. If I were you, I would get all the information and take it to Cower Cam. Tell them you are looking for a custom cam and give them the information on the engine. Once they make a recomendation, use the information to buy an off-the-shelf cam that is affordable.

wickedbird

All great questions Emilio. Bird, since the car engine is custom built, you will need more information before you can determine your max cam lift. If I were you, I would get all the information and take it to Cower Cam. Tell them you are looking for a custom cam and give them the information on the engine. Once they make a recomendation, use the information to buy an off-the-shelf cam that is affordable.

Thanks for the help with this. I am going to tear into it once I get back. Once I get that done I am going to take it back to JBA to get it re-tuned and dyno. I am hoping that with smaller pulley I installed and new cam I should be in the 420hp range.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Thanks for the help with this. I am going to tear into it once I get back. Once I get that done I am going to take it back to JBA to get it re-tuned and dyno. I am hoping that with smaller pulley I installed and new cam I should be in the 420hp range.

I recommend you take it to RPMM to get it tuned and dyno. They did a much better tuning on mine then JBA did.