• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cams for a gt500

2009GT500

Was talking with Greg tonight, and wonder if anyone has put the Ford GT cams in their GT500. If so, what type of power was noticed and what tuning was required? Thanks.

gmantheman

I know for the 05-10 Mustang GT there are few cams that claim no tuning required but to get the most out of the cams, a tune is recommended. I would get a tune and a dyno tune at that.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
there is an article in this months 5.0 or MMFF about cams in a GT500.. 600 price tag and 20 hp.. Not sure it worth it.. IMO

gmantheman

There are few factors regarding how much power you will pickup. Two of the most important are the cams themselves and the tune. With and email tune I picked up 15RWHP but lost 7RWTQ;however with delete plates and a dyno tune I picked up nearly 50RWHP and 30RWTQ.

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
Its all in the tuning. The better cams are the ones that are spring required. I would def do my research. I personaly have hot rod cams in my gt and love the sound and loepy idel

wicked

Guys we are talking about a gt500 not a gt the gt500 already comes with blower cams so buying another set of blower cams is not goimg to yield you as much hp as with a gt that is na

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
wicked cams are cams you can always get custom ground cams that will give you more power. That is why you do research...

gmantheman

I looked at a few other forums regarding Cams for the GT500, and seems like it's not worth it for these cars. Looking at $1500+ just for the install as the engine has to be dropped.

09schwarzecobra

i am very intrested in this MOD as well. everyone tells me to try the Innovation West lower pulley and you'll see more gains

Mach1Marauder

On a stock GT500, a pulley, CAI and a dyno tune are the best bang for the dollar. IF the engine is ALREADY apart, it gets a bit more reasonable.
Best value after the above simple mods is throwing on a 3.4 Whipple. It TOTALLY changes the beast.

Comment on the "Hot Rod" cams: A far better set of cams for the 3V 4.6 is Brenspeed "Detroit Rocker" cams. Old school "badass cammed car" sound at idle and perfect drive-ability off idle in gear........no parking lot bucking and excellent top gear low rpm acceleration.