• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cold air intake question

Soliz53

Donator
I am looking to get a cold air intake for my 2015 5.0. I am looking at a few different ones online. anyone have any suggestions? should I go with the ones that have an inclosed airbox/ open airbox or the ones with no airbox. I do plan to get a turner in the future so that is not a problem. most intakes don't require a tuner.

Crumba60

i would buy an intake that requires a programmer, that way you get the benefits of both items. They do make intakes that do not require a tune. But in my opinion there not worth it cause you get better performance gains when you get a tune. As far as open or closed: an airbox is just going to trap the air in the box. open allows cooler air to get to the rest of the engine.

Soliz53

Donator
Thanks for the reply. And yes I have been doing some research and that is the conclusion I have come to as well. Only thing stopping me from doing that is voiding my warranty. Which I no if I'm worried about it I should not be messing with the car in the first place.

tom

If you have the extra cash 3/36 Ford Racing Supercharger for MANUAL transmission Produces 627 hp with warranty. Part Number: M-6066-M8627

Soliz53

Donator
thanks. a supercharger is on my list but not for some time. once im ready for it i wont be worried about the factory warranty lol. thanks for the info

Crumba60

If your worried about warranty i would just go with Roush or ford racing supercharger and get their warranty and bypass the CAI. Work on supporting or other modes.

Soliz53

Donator
I will look into that once I'm ready for that upgrade. For now I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust and suspension. And some cosmetic stuff.

frank s

at Play in San Diego, CA
People who are knowledgeable and trustworthy say that there is a reason FRPP didn't offer a CAI for the Coyote-engined Mustangs: it was obvious the FORD engineers had done such a good job on the pre-MAF intake situation, any would-be improvement would be very, very minor. I bought two of their 3V CAIs and was very happy with their function and appearance. The tuner and tunes FRPP supplied were also excellent. Now you can get Just-The-FRPP-Tune-And-ProCal-Tuner, two of which I have bought. I've been very satisfied with them.

The fact is, a CAI of any aftermarket kind might be responsible for five or ten percent of the power gain in a CAI-And-Tune setup; the 85 or 90% is contributed by the tune. Suppose your CAI-tune claims thirty more horsepower, costs five hundred dollars. Optimistically, that's ten percent of thirty, or three HP increase from the CAI, twenty-seven HP from the tune.

Chances are the increase is going to be two-thirds of what the manufacturer claims, so overall you are paying 500/20=25 dollars per horsepower. The 3V engines were said to put out 310 HP, so your five hundred bucks gained about six percent more HP. Ten percent of twenty HP that the CAI added cost about $62.50 each, if the CAI-Tune/tuner cost is attributed fifty-fifty.

In my experience, the tune alone will improve driveability (throttle response, linearity, and so forth) and that is worth the price of admission. Don't waste money on a CAI unless you are competing at a high level in an arena where hundredths of a second are critical.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I wouldn't want to void the warranty this early in the game. Frank brings up alot of really good points. I would be very curious to see intake temp comparisons with these so called "cold" air intakes.

I was looking into the air raid closed box cai. It's $350, looks cleaner than the stock one and doesn't require a tune. I'm gonna hold off though because I think if any gain it would be very minor.