• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Cooling issues please help

Murdock

Oak Harbor, Wa chapter
Hi all,
I Have a 1990 Notch that today while driving to work I noticed the temp started getting above what it normaly runs at. I've checked the fuse pannel and the fuse is ok. After reading up on various boards it sounds like the ac/cooling fan runs on the same relay switchbut I cant find a way to test it out with multi-meter. can you help. I dont want to spend a bunch of money and find out that this is not the problem.
Thanks in advance
Murdock

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
You should be able to hear it come on.. Check to see if your fan is turning... also, Go and squeeze your upper radiator hose and see if it hard or not.. Might mean your Thermostat is sticking..

Murdock

Oak Harbor, Wa chapter
I was watching the temp on the way home and noticed it climb and then drop after starting so I think the thermastat is ok.
I'm not sure what temp the fan is supposed to come on so I dont know if the fan is working correctly, or if its the relay. Fluids lvl's are good. What I've read on various pages the relay is an ongoing issue but it runs $60+ (for a relay switch!!?) so I'd rather not order 1 if I dont need it.

Murdock

Oak Harbor, Wa chapter
Moree and more its leading me to believe its this cooloing fan/AC relay switch I ran jump wires to the fan motor and it spun so its not the fan motor.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Moree and more its leading me to believe its this cooloing fan/AC relay switch I ran jump wires to the fan motor and it spun so its not the fan motor.

well if you jumped the relay and the motor worked than make sure the relay is clicking on or off.. It could be the relay..

Murdock

Oak Harbor, Wa chapter
I also thought maybe the temp sending unit on the engine but then wouldnt the temp gauge not be working?

Murdock

Oak Harbor, Wa chapter
And I didnt realy jump the relay. I ran hot wires straight from the battery to the fan mottor just to see if it would fire up and only for a sec. (didnt want to fry the motor).