• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Electrical Problem with the 1987 FOX

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Went to pull out the car for a little washing and the battery appeared to be completly dead. I had no lights at all and the ignition turning on did nothing. So, I opened the hatch and peeked inside the battery box. As I was lifting the lid, smoke started to roll from the wiring and I shut off my cutout switch at the rear of the car...this did nothing. I quickly removed the negative battery connection and the wiring cooled. Touching the negative lead to the battery created heat once again and some sparking...how is this possible with the disconnect switch OFF? I began removing the auxilary wiring from the battery and still...HEAT!! Then I removed the charging connection from the alternator and wahlaa, the HEAT was gone. Not certain where the ground is at, but I will have to pull the entire wire out and see if there is a problem. If not, I will have to unplug the alternator and see if the problem is internal.

What I'm saying is...ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS SUCK!!!!...oh and I wont have my car at DMP tomorrow, but I will be there.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
wow, that is crazy... Trailor the car to DMP so we can help you this time..And fix it...:)

Ford1288

Donator
Gotta love our car.... Dissappointed that I will be the only fox today now. I was looking forward to seeing your beauty Todd.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
After finishing all the troubleshooting, discovered two wires had been damaged at the driver side sill plate. I rerouted some new wires and then crossed my fingers as I inserted the key. Thankfully, the mighty FOX fired up with no further noticeable damage. Of course, a good test drive at the track is always the telling tale. I will hook up the computer today and make certain the latest tune is still loaded and then tomorrow it can finally get the bath it needs. All is good, it could have been MUCH worse.

Here are some pics of the OOPS: :eek:

wiring001.jpg

wiring003.jpg

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Those are some nasty looking wires. I'm glad its all fixed but mostly glad it did not turn out to be worse.