• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Engine Clicking

98Stang

Recently my 98 v6 has been giving me a few problems. I had a radiator hose bust, had it replaced along with a coolant flush. Also, I got an engine light and it came out my fuel vapor canister sensor was bad, haven't changed it yet.

Anyway, I noticed now that when I rev the engine or accelerate when in drive i hear a clicking noise coming from the engine. It never used to do that before. Any ideas why it would do it now?

Doesn't seem like I have lost any power or anything different.

Oh yea, I recently replaced the fuel pump and filter also.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I would have to listen to the engine to know for certain, but clicking is usually a valve problem. Take a long screwdriver, flat tip, and place it on the valve cover in different places. The metal tip goes on the cover and the plastic piece will be pressed to your ear. This will allow you to determine where the noise is coming from and where your problem could be located. Of course, you could always go and buy a mechanics stethescope, but the screwdriver works just as well.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
If it is a valve, just remove the valve cover and torque the rocker stud. Hopefully, the problem will go away.

98Stang

So I'm going to do a little rebuild. Will take pics along the way, but what I'm going with is a modified 3.8.
It will be bored and stroked to 4.3L. The cylinder heads will get a 5 angle valve job and fitted with 1.892 intake and 1.491 exhaust valves. Since it will be a daily driver with a little go in it, compression will be around 9.5 to 1 so I can still run pump gas. What kind of injectors do you think I should run. I was thinking 24 lb injectors?

I do a heck of a lot of driving and don't want to sell the car and go on to a V8. I just want a nice setup without dropping loads of money into a robust v8.

Any comments or anything about the build I want to do?