• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Gears, gears, gears....

Jesse

Donator
So I know this is a gone over subject over many forums, but was currious about 4.10's. I've read about as much as I can and cannot come up with a conclusion...I'm ok with the gas millage issue (I've herd you loose on the highway, but gain in the city), but my main thing to think about is first gear, and top end.

1. I have a manual (5speed) and I keep hearing that you damn near lose first gear, how bad tho? Is it like having to shift at 10mph bad or what? Because if it's that bad or close I'm not willing to sacrifice an entire gear...

2. I've herd a lot of mixed things about top end with the 4.10's. I've herd you'll most likely run out of horsepower before you run out of gear, I've herd (to a point of course) it would actually increase just for the fact at a top speed scenario your rpms would be higher therefore you would be producing more hp and would actually have a higher top speed (again only to a point, applies more to a car with less hp from what I understood). I've also herd that freeway racing/driving is very limmited because of the 4.10's. I'm just currious if I'm crusing at 80 mph and I punch it am I gonna be faster or slower than I am now (currently have 3.55 gears).

Thanks for any and all input.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
You will definitely get a harder launch with the 4.10s. But you will lose the high ends. But with a 5spd, that should be fine. I don't remember if your car is supercharged or not, and that will make a different. But normally with a 5spd and supercharge, 4.10s would be good.

GhostRider

What's up Jesse! Through my experience (I currently have 3.55's on my GT, but on my 06' V6 I had 4.10's) I think that 3.55 or 3.73's are a good route again IMO. With 3.55's/ 3.73's 1st gear is small and has awesome pull. With 4.10's it's even crazier if you punch it hard. I can't speak for the top speed cause the V6 wasn't very fast in the long run, but it was really quick on the pick up. I think with the GT, your going to get a lot of tire spin with 4.10's and most likely will loose some at the top end, but unless your always flooring the pedal, you won't really notice it a whole lot. To answer you question, if you punch it at 80mph, you may feel a little more pull, but at anything over 120mph, you're going to feel her stressing to get more speed... I think 4.10's are a MUST if you like to take her to the strip a lot, but for daily drivers, 3.55's / 3.73's are good route. I guess it's really preference though... If your trying to get the most acceleration out of her, just go for the 4.10's and don't look back! lol :cool:

Jesse

Donator
I'm more of a track, back roads, freeway fun, type of driver not saying that I don't occasionally drag against the ricer or camaro lol and I'm not supercharged so is that gonna be a big negative going to 4.10? Since I already have 3.55 I wouldn't go to 3.73 it just wouldn't a big gain for all the money/work involved...and If say 120mph is possible with 4.10 with mods that I have is that my max regardless of hp, or will that number continue to increase as hp does? And I definitely am/was worried about just spinning tires in first gear with 4.10's, I already don't have the best traction of the line, but if you feather it until you get some roll (and eventually better tires, and suspension lol) is first gear still useless?

GhostRider

I'm more of a track, back roads, freeway fun, type of driver not saying that I don't occasionally drag against the ricer or camaro lol and I'm not supercharged so is that gonna be a big negative going to 4.10? Since I already have 3.55 I wouldn't go to 3.73 it just wouldn't a big gain for all the money/work involved...and If say 120mph is possible with 4.10 with mods that I have is that my max regardless of hp, or will that number continue to increase as hp does? And I definitely am/was worried about just spinning tires in first gear with 4.10's, I already don't have the best traction of the line, but if you feather it until you get some roll (and eventually better tires, and suspension lol) is first gear still useless?

Not being super charged doesn't matter. Your right about not going 3.73's. For those of us that already have 3.55's theres no point unless you go 4.10's! 120mph, is just a rough estimate. It does depend on the type of car, mods, ect... I was referring to s197's. I'm not too sure what that number might be for your year. The bottom line, with 4.10's your going to sacrifice a little top speed as well as traction (not much). However, your going to add better acceleration and cut your 0-60 time. And with good tires and some control arms, your traction will be fine.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
You will be fine with 4.10s. You will need to upgrade your suspension so you will get better traction. You will spin with what you have now. I had 4.30s before my supercharger. But mine is an auto, but it was fun launching and it did spin because I still had stock suspensions.

Jesse

Donator
I have the saleen shocks, struts, springs, sway bars, front strut tower brace, and steeda upper and lower control arms, so by no means is it a stock set up...I have nexen tires 265's all round (the way it was when I bought it), the rims are offset 8-10 maybe go with 285's in the rear? Different brand maybe? These tires are ok in the rain and do good in the turns but traction off the line isn't all that great, is it too much to ask for both handling and off the line grip in a tire? Thanks for the responses I'll definitely go with 4.10's just had to make sure cuz money ain't exactly falling off the trees these days lol

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I like my Nittos NT05's. I didn't get the DRs but mine handle just as good on the dragstrip as it does on the road. It is almost more of an autocross tires. It has pretty good traction on the dragstrip too. If you look at it, you would thought it was a DR. It has similar tread patterns.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
If you can go with 305s in the back, that would be better. But 285 or 295s would be just fine, too.

No, your suspensions is pretty nice. The question is, how old are they? They tend to lose their effectiveness after 7 years or so. They get soft.

GhostRider

Just remember to replace the bearings as well if you swap out your gears... Last thing you'll want is worn bearings on new gears. lol

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
I have a 2002 mustang GT with a 5 speed tr3650 transmission. my rear gear is 3.90's and in 4th gear i top out at 109 mph. my first gear goes to about 30 or so maybe less. the first gear comes up very fast and if u don't have good tires in the back u wont get any traction, that was the case for me. i currently have 18x10 nitto extremes 555's and I still get no traction in first gear. i have full rear suspension in my car. would i ever change my rear gear again, no. i love the 3.90's and they are very comparable to 4.10s. i like to be different. I say get the 4.10's and don't look back just make sure u buy really good tires and don't be cheap about it.

GhostRider

I have a 2002 mustang GT with a 5 speed tr3650 transmission. my rear gear is 3.90's and in 4th gear i top out at 109 mph. my first gear goes to about 30 or so maybe less. the first gear comes up very fast and if u don't have good tires in the back u wont get any traction, that was the case for me. i currently have 18x10 nitto extremes 555's and I still get no traction in first gear. i have full rear suspension in my car. would i ever change my rear gear again, no. i love the 3.90's and they are very comparable to 4.10s. i like to be different. I say get the 4.10's and don't look back just make sure u buy really good tires and don't be cheap about it.

What does your 5th gear top out at? Or rather, when does it begin to stress...?

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
never maxed out my 5th gear. didn't care 2. i can pass people on the freeway starting at 50 miles an hour were before was never possible. u wont get anywhere with WOT in 5th gear, i just don't have the power for that even tho i do have 284 rwhp and 318 rwtq.

Jesse

Donator
Well see now that worries me a tad or at least perks up some questions...I just went on a little test run at lunch break and I'm hitting 34 mph in 1st@ 5900-6000 (tried 3 times) and an hitting 110 mph in 4th at about 5800rpm (going of memory on this one). Now that's almost identical, is that just the difference in our transmissions (I have t-45)? Our is it possible I have 3.90's and just didn't know it? The only info I have on my diff is that saleen for this year puts 3.55's, maybe previous owner changed em? Guess I'll have to go turn my drive shaft manually to find out...

Jesse

Donator
Hmm very interesting....looks like gears may not be the next thing for me after all, gotta get under my ride abs soon my drive shaft and see what gears I ACTUALLY have....

'03snkbt

well, i was going to suggest 3.90's, but after the read, sounds like you just might already have installed. IMO....4.10's just a little too much gear especially if you interstate drive.
i had 3.73's in my '99 GT and loved them but went back and forth between those and 3.90's.
from my understanding, not much difference between 3.90's and 4.10's in the acceleration feel dept.