• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

HELPME!!!!

05ms.stang

its not just about the car.
Donator
ok so as evryone knows been having major issues with the old car friend took it and im doing the mechanical work.... sooo thought the spark plug was stripped.... it wasnt somehow a rock got down in by the spark plug long story short got it changed.... now problems are...... since i changed the spark plug the car now idles as low as 500rpms and just about dies someone told me the timing is off i dunno if i believe that other problems are its got a ticking noise in the motor im thinking that might be a misalligned rocker dunno how it got that way but yea the other is the exhaust ive looked it over and theres no holes or anything in the exhaust but it sounds alot like the muffler has a huge hole but like i said it doesnt another issue is the acceleration it got better when i changed the spark plug but its still having the problem it stutters when im on the freeway and pushing on the gas u can feel it through the gas pedal so what i need from everyone who reads this is ideas on what the problems might be...

problem list:
1. ticking in the motor
2. idling at 500rms bounces between 500 and 1000 not normal
3. exhaust
4. acceleration
5. stutter when pushing on gas

any info or ideas you all can give me would be great cause im stumped

05ms.stang

Donator
and a vacuum leak could b a possibility to the exhaust problem but ive checked all the hoses and everything seems to be fine im just hoping its an easy fix here cause i hate seeing a stang running like crap is depresses me

05ms.stang

Donator
another question if i ran a code reader on it could it throw codes for coil packs kinda a stupid question i think but my friend told me to ask just to see

05ms.stang

Donator
YES!!!! its been on for awhile and last time i had the codes cleared it threw 2 codes both for coil packs and after i changed the sparkplug a few days ago i reset the cpu

05ms.stang

Donator
i know that but one was bad reallly bad and its throwing codes and the dumb thing does it when im driving so i cant count the flashes to look up the code...... ugh this is so frustrating

Jaguaron

Fresno Ca
You need to pay attention to what the computer is trying to tell you, then take it from there. It will frustrate you if you just take your best guess.

05ms.stang

Donator
ive ran a code reader on it a few times when the light was on and all the codes it ever gave were for 2 coil packs then other stuff started happening so i ran the code reader on it again and got the same thing so im not sure whats up with that car anymore its frustrating because up until this car ive fixed every car i worked on and made them work like new someone has really messed this car up and it sure as hell wasnt me and i dont know how to fix it this is the first time since my brother first started teaching me how to work on cars that i didnt know how to fix it

98Stang

it's either the camshaft position sensor or throttle position sensor. I had to replace both on my 98 and it was doing the same thing w/ the idle issue and sputter on start and acceleration

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
If it's giving you a code for your coil packs I would start there. An easy way to check those are, you can un hook one then start it see if there is a change if so it's not that one, keep trying until you find the one that doesn't change anything. I am getting similar things on my 06 , I am getting the code for my cam positioning sensor and it sux on start up it dump's way to much fuel in, idle bounces around too and when I stomp on it it hesitates then goes. I was told by a couple people (blackstallion & Lady Gaga) from this club to get cam phaser's to solve this issue. You may want to PM them.

05ms.stang

Donator
i got the no gap plugs from auto zone their the ones that was in there before i even changed them and im pretty sure i know which coil pack it is cause my dumb ass accidentally broke a screw for it and had to drill it out well the stupid drill bit kept slipping so the housing for the screw is messed up a bit so its super loose but i know how to fix that problem... and its not that the car is getting to much i think it might be getting to little till u really lay on the gas then it sucks the gas like no other the mpg is sucking balls bad right now before all the problems started it was getting 18 to 20 mpg in the city and 22ish on the highway so it was doing pretty decent for a bigger motor now in the city im gettin 15-17 depends on who drives but no more than that when im driving i can feel the stutter in the gas pedal...... the check engine light did come back on and has been flashing but its always when im driving so i cant exactly count the flashes and see where the pause is at if there is one i need to invest in a little handy dandy code reader..... and it doesnt really sputter on start either it actually runs decently normal accept the fact when its cold its rpms are 1500 then when it warms up its drops to 500 and bounces i can hear the misfiring somewhere and its probably the stupid coil pack or something to do with it but i need all ideas to check out cause to be honest i am stumped right now im hoping its not a big issue so big that i gotta take the covers off and everything else

05ms.stang

Donator
ok put a code reader on it and it said cylinder 6 misfiring if im correct cylinder 6 is the 3rd one back on the drivers side which is the one i changed the spark plug in and the check engine light came back on even after the codes were cleared and was flashing so im switching 2 coil packs to see if its the coil pack if it is the coil pack could that be causing all of my problems????

05ms.stang

Donator
FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!!!!! THE PLUGS FROM CYLINDERS 6 AND 8 ARE BURNT AND BROKEN..... NOT GOOD!!!!!! O2 SENSOR HAS GONE BAD SENDING WRONG SIGNALS TO TPS SENSOR CAUSING THE SENSOR TO SEND UN NEEDED SIGNALS CAUSING CYLINDERS TO OVER HEAT BURNING THE SPARK PLUGS TO THE POINT OF BREAKING PICTURE IS GOING TO B POSTED IF IM CORRECT 2 PLUGS WERE ABOUT TO BREAK ALSO THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND IDEAS U WERE A GREAT HELP :) i will be upgrading to hotter plugs this time

Attachments

• IMAG0938.jpg
    IMAG0938.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 91