• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

idle, bog, hesitation problem?

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
My 89 4 cyl will run fine and then sometimes it will start to bog down or hesitate on the hwy so I will floor the gas pedal and it will take a second then it will take off and run fine for awhile and do the same thing then after awhile it will run fine and when stoping it will die out sometimes or after I drive it and then put it in reversere to park it will die. This happens alot but not everday. I am not sure what is wrong if anyone can help that would be great. O I change the Idle Air Control valve but that didn't help.
Thanks

98Stang

my 98 had the same problem and it ended up being the camshaft position sensor that needed replacing

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
No codes have popped. I had the car running and took the connector off of it IAC and it duplicated the problem so thought that was the prob but replaced it and still does it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news... But when you disconnect the electrical connector to the IAC. If the engine begins to stubble or stalls the IAC is functional and does not need to be repaired. If the engine idle does not change you should remove the IAC for inspection.

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
They are all farely new I change the wires, plugs, dist cap, rotor and rest of tune up stuff in April.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Albo, in 1989, the 4cly Mustang's speed density air system was replaced with a mass air system.. You might want to remove and clean it out....

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
Fuel filter has been changed. That was the first thing I thought of.

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and when it starts to die the pressure goes up then it will go back to normal. I am gonna change the fuel pressure regulator. Is there something else I should check?

98Stang

I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and when it starts to die the pressure goes up then it will go back to normal. I am gonna change the fuel pressure regulator. Is there something else I should check?
my 98 had this exact problem and it ended up being my fuel pump

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
Thanks, I had that in mind but dont want it to be that lol. I have my stock pump from my roush but not sure if that will go in.

98Stang

well im pretty sure it'll fit. if you can swap in a ford gt pump to work, im sure a roush would be similar

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
My roush was a stage 2 had a GT pump so if the fuel pressure regulater dont fix it I will swap the pump. Thanks!