• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My Beast 8.8 build

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well my new WMD Project car is underway and I started by building the rearend. I took it to Bob Meyer Race Cars in El Cajon. Bob has been building race cars since the early 70's, so he knows a thing or to about engineering. He basically designed a truss after the golden gate bridge. I wanted to post this here to show you guys the kind of work he does. Anyone thinking of getting tubes welded to the center section, he is the man to go to.

This 8.8 has been shortened 2" on each side, had axle tubes welded to the center section, coil over brackets welded on, 9" housing ends welded up and a 5pt chrome moly truss making this axle just about as rigid as you can get. This bad boy ain't bending.

Here are some pics of the 8.8

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1015.jpg

DSCN1016.jpg

rearcoilovermount.jpg

rearcoilovermount2.jpg

rearendwitcoilovermounts.jpg

DSCN1063.jpg

DSCN1064.jpg

DSCN1065.jpg

DSCN1066.jpg

DSCN1068.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN1070.jpg

DSCN1067.jpg

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
dang dude why not go with a 9" what's the added benefit of all that aluminum piping? does look mean..

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Well first off a 9" housing is over the price I paid to have this done and is still heavier than this 8.8 w/bracing. Not to mention the center section of the 9" is about $1000 for a good one. 2nd that is not aluminum. You can't weld aluminum to cast iron and steel. It's chrome moly. This will be a bullet proof 8.8 that will not bend under the harsh circumstances that I intend to put it under. The bracing was needed because the shock mounts are located on the tubes and will want to force the tubes down in the middle and up on the ends on hard launches. The truss will prevent that from happening.

The 9" ends help by using a larger bearing which is not only stronger, but has less rolling resistance than the c-clip eliminators. The car is being mini tubbed, so that was the reason for shortening it 2" on each end in order to run the 15x12's. Any other questions let me know!

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I have all the parts ready for Bob to start welding on my axle. Soon as I get some free time, Bobby, I'll give you a call. I hope to get this dropped off around the 10th of June. Once I'm ready, I'll call Mr. Meyer first and then let you know.

Thanks for the pictures. I have nver seen a setup quite like that one. It will be interesting to watch you tune it in.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Thanks. Setting this up will be no different than any other 8.8. I wanted it braced because of the shock mounts and to make sure they don't bend forward on hard launches. I will be using the baseline suspensions relocated uppers. I'll post pics when I put it together.

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
I think its going to look Bad ass mini tubbed Bobby. Thanks for the pics! Its gonna perform great... My buddy has same set up in his 90 fox in MO. I am not sure if he has the bracing like you have but I know its a built 8.8.
It runs 8.50's in the 1/4 around 150mph. ( well did I should say) Building a turbo car now. Looks great though man keep us posted.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Did they have to straighten out the tubes before welding them?

That is standard operating procedure. The axle tubes have to be straightened in a jig and then the tubes get welded. Straightening and welding costs about $200. You have to bring the axle empty and cleaned. Take the empty axle to a pressure washer and clean it out or he will charge $50 to have it jet washed. If it's nasty he won't touch it.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
how much did he charge for the 9" ends/shortening and for the truss?

The 9" ends cost about = $110
To fab and weld the chromoly 5pt truss = $275
Straightening and welding the tubes = $205
Welding on Shock brackets = $50
Shortening and welding the 9" ends on = $85

Total = $725