• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

navy help

tkeinia

ok, i guess this is the best place to ask this, since san diego is a navy town.

ok. my son is about to grad HS and i looking at joining the navy. we talked to recruiter and he needs to score better on ASVAB. any advice on what to look for as he joins? any advice will help. he is looking to join and enter the IT rate. thanks for the help

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
The main thing is to select a job that he can use in the civilian world when he decides to leave the Navy. I believe there are practice ASVAB test available online or in libraries. Do not go in as a non-rate, that means going into the Navy without a guarantee school. He will have a miserable time doing mainly manual labors.

tkeinia

thanks, thats exactly what i told him. he wants IT rating since he has come security certs for computers already.

Crumba60

I know the IT field is pretty full so advancement is going to be slightly more difficult than other rates. what he be doing depends on what class of ship he gets stationed on. He will be not only working on computers,networks, communication gear and what other gear they need him on . The first yr or two will be all about getting schooling done and getting his qualifications.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Needs to be a special IT. Get with the Specwar community. That way he gets to do the real IT work out there not the average email custodian. Not an insult to the IT's out there. His certs are great, but won't mean much as far as his job when signing up. It is all about what they need at the time and they will train him their way. It will help him as far as knowing the info already during schools and such but as far as getting the job, it may not mean much.

Gibs