• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Need help ASAP fellas. Looking for an engine builder/machine shop

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Alright guys, so the cobra motor is out and ready to be rebuilt, but I have a dilemma: there is only one engine builder that i absolutely trust to do the work right, but his shop is in tucson. the only machine shop i took a gamble on here in southern california off recommendation from my brother put the WRONG SIZE PISTON in my 349 and gave it back to me with piston slap.

So before I commit to driving to tucson to have this built, is there any shop that you all trust to do modular engine work in southern california? that means san diego, LA, and anywhere in between. I'm not necessarily looking for a homie hook up, I just want the work done right the first time and with no worries later down the road.

I would also consider buying a rebuilt long block from a shop (prefer not a private sale) if it can be in the 3-4k range with extremely low miles like the cobra had before this sh** show.

I need to know very soon so please, if you guys know of somewhere, I would really appreciate your help.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
In San Diego Total Performance is the only shop I would trust to touch anything, but it won't be cheap. In the L.A. area it's Ben Alameda. If you are going to Barona on the 1st you will see his work in action and I can introduce you to him. He's super cool and down to earth. I might be able to get you a discount from him.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Ben alameda built the motor in the beast when I originally bought it. He definitely does good work. But time is the issue. I called MMR who has surprisingly decent prices, but they wouldn't be able to finish it for at least 4 weeks maybe more

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Ben alameda built the motor in the beast when I originally bought it. He definitely does good work. But time is the issue. I called MMR who has surprisingly decent prices, but they wouldn't be able to finish it for at least 4 weeks maybe more

Time is going to be an issue anywhere you go.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I figured that much. At least anywhere that is reputable that i've tried so far obviously get a lot of business. It looks like taking it to tucson may be my best option. There is a very accomplished Top Dragster racer there by the name of Chuck Hawk who owns Chuck Hawk's Auto and Performance. I truly believe that there is almost no one in the country that can build a ford better then him. and he happens to be a life long family friend, so he would jump on it the day it was delivered. I just have to get it there.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I would take the car to JRs Perfomance Shop in Escondido. Let JR know that your from the club and he'll work up a build for you.

93slvrfox

The modular motors aren't hard to build...you need a degree wheel for the cams. it takes a lot of time but it isn't too bad

93slvrfox

The motor was fine before it locked up. he prolly needs the cylinder walls honed and possibly a new set of pistons

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I really think it just spun a bearing or two. It only ran for about 10 seconds. But I'd rather know it was done right.

4600 is out of the price range and it's not my money being spent its my brothers. If I broke it, I agree that it's a perfect time to upgrade, but right now it just needs to get back on the road

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I really think it just spun a bearing or two. It only ran for about 10 seconds. But I'd rather know it was done right.

4600 is out of the price range and it's not my money being spent its my brothers. If I broke it, I agree that it's a perfect time to upgrade, but right now it just needs to get back on the road
Take it to JR Performance in Escondido...you'll like the price and the quality.