• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New motor, won't start

Ashira

So i finally finished building and installing my new motor in my '03 mustang. Went to fire it up for the first time and initially the starter couldn't turn the motor. After rotating it a fews times by hand and trying again we finally were able to get the starter to start turning the motor. However the it doesn't spin nearly as fast as it normally would and the motor won't fire. Any thoughts? Could it be the starter doesn't have enough torque to spin the motor fast enough?

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
If it's turning to slow, verify all your connections are clean and not corroded. Especially check to smaller wire that connects to the starter, the connection tends to get rugged after awhile. You should have enough room to cut the wire and crimp on a new connection.

Ashira

So i figured out it was a faulty connection with the crank position sensor, therefore no spark and no fuel. So heres my next problem, only the driver side cylinders are firing. Im not super familiar with the electrical system to know whats common to all even cylinders. Any thoughts? I have a video of it running on four cylinders and ill post a link to it on my Facebook just for your entertainment.

Ashira

I had Bruce from JBA do the initial tune. It was having a lot of trouble idling well really it wouldn't at all so we adjusted the throttle body set screw and that helped. Really I think we just covered up the problem but I'm going to keep tinkering. I did drive it though so hopefully soon enough I can break it in and get it tuned.

Ashira

I agree, Bruce and their mustang tech Chris have both been a big help. I'm taking the car up there this week to have them do some light load tuning so I can starting breaking the car in.