• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Random Engine Gurgle/ no throttle response?

ThotSwatter

So yesterday on my way home from Big bear California to San Diego, I found myself on the side of the road because my engine stoped responding to my throttle. Basically my check engine light started blinking and my engine started gurgeling like mouth wash. Aws I pressed the throttle, no response. I pulled over, checked my oil, I had plenty of gas.

I restarted the car and it started no problem.... Soo anyone experience the same problem? Or have any ideas? BTW it's a new factory 4.6L V8 still under warranty.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
So yesterday on my way home from Big bear California to San Diego, I found myself on the side of the road because my engine stoped responding to my throttle. Basically my check engine light started blinking and my engine started gurgeling like mouth wash. Aws I pressed the throttle, no response. I pulled over, checked my oil, I had plenty of gas.

I restarted the car and it started no problem.... Soo anyone experience the same problem? Or have any ideas? BTW it's a new factory 4.6L V8 still under warranty.
need to check for codes and see what is going on. Anyone with a SCT Tuner can give you a hand and check your codes..

ThotSwatter

I'll try and find a SCT tuner, or possibly just buy one myself before I spend more money at the dealership. Thanks!

ThotSwatter

Ok so I got my codes... And there are 6 of them. Basically a misfire in some cylinders and one mentioned my car was running to lean. Could it be my mass airflow sensor? Maybe spark plugs?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Ok so I got my codes... And there are 6 of them. Basically a misfire in some cylinders and one mentioned my car was running to lean. Could it be my mass airflow sensor? Maybe spark plugs?
on your year mustang make sure that the airflow sensor is secure and the connector is on tight, also make sure to check all hoses and fittings are tight. Can you post the codes please...

ThotSwatter

P0171
P0174
P0300
P0303
P0304
P0307
Those are my codes. I will check all my fittings to ensure they are tight. As for the actual maf sensor I ordered a new one.

Crumba60

Clean your MAF and IAT sesnor(intake air temp sensor) for lean codes. and rest the codes. If that dont work maybe O2 sensers. How many miles are on the spark plugs? If more the 60k i would change them out.

ThotSwatter

Yeah, about 64k on the car. I bought a new MAF sensor, 02 sensor and new spark plugs, I'm just waiting for th to come in the mail. Hopefully after I install those it will be good. I triad cleaning my maf and that didn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crumba60

make sure you put some high temp anti-seize. I ve recently did mine and have a whole jar of anti-seize. Are you on dry side or wet side? We could meet up and i could give you some.

ThotSwatter

I work on wet side. I'm going underway here in a couple days, when I get back I wouldn't mind some if you can spare. I appreciate it.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
P0171
P0174
P0300
P0303
P0304
P0307
Those are my codes. I will check all my fittings to ensure they are tight. As for the actual maf sensor I ordered a new one.

P0171 - System too Lean Bank 1
P0174 - System too Lean Bank 2
P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire
P0303 - Cylinder #3 Misfire
P0304 - Cylinder #4 Misfire
P0307 - Cylinder #7 Misfire

What are you symptoms now? Do you still have fault codes?

Last edited:

ThotSwatter

Sorry for the late response, just got back from underway. So the codes are all still there. And the symptoms haven't changed. I decided to buy new spark plugs, ignition coils, mass air flow sensor, and o2 sensor. I'm hoping one of those work. I will be installing all this on Sunday, and I will update you guys after. I may ask for some help as we'll considering I've never done any of this maintenance before.

ThotSwatter

I finally have an update. So I changed my ignition coils and my check engine light is gone. Now I think that's only because I had to disconnect the battery. But my car does drive better and it idles 500 rpm less. I will next install my new mass airflow sensor, but I think it needs a tune for that.