• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’

Mach1Marauder

Teacher Deems American Flag ‘Offensive’

d368479c.jpg

The battle over the American flag has reached a middle school art class in California’s Santa Rita School District where a student was told not to draw Old Glory because it was “offensive,” but another student — in the same class – was praised for drawing a picture of President Obama.

Tracy Hathaway, of Salinas, CA, told FOX News Radio her 13-year-old daughter was ordered to stop drawing the American flag by an art teacher at Gavilan View Middle School.

“She had drawn the flag and was sketching the letters, ‘God bless America,’ when the teacher confronted her,” Hathaway told FOX. “She said, ‘You can’t draw that – that’s offensive.’”

Even more striking, another student in the same art class drew a picture of President Obama and was praised by the teacher.

“The picture of Barack Obama was in red, white and blue hues,” Hathaway said. “The teacher said it was great. But when it comes to the flag – all of a sudden it was offensive?”

Hathaway said she took her concerns to the principal – and he was “floored” and apologized for what happened. He arranged a meeting with the Hathaways and the teacher.

“My husband point-blank asked her what she found offensive about the picture – the American flag or the words, ‘God Bless America,’” she said. “The teacher didn’t say a word.”

Hathaway said she was especially concerned that a picture of President Obama was praised yet a picture of the American flag was deemed offensive.

“That showed where she stood in the political spectrum,” she said “But this was not a political class. This was not a religious class. This was an art class. “

“My daughter wasn’t trying to break any rules and she wasn’t trying to create a scene,” she said. “She was just expressing her view and saying this is America and I want God to bless it.”

Mike Brusa, the superintendent of schools, told FOX in a written statement that he had contacted the principal and that the issue “was taken care of to their (the parent’s) satisfaction.”

“The school administration and the parents did not view this as significant enough to bring it to the superintendent’s office,” he wrote.

However, Hathaway said her daughter has yet to receive an apology – and in fact – the teacher told the girl that she should not have gotten her parents involved in the matter.

“My daughter felt like her rights were being trampled on – she was doing what she thought was right.” she said. “It’s disturbing. It really is disturbing. When I was in junior high we didn’t have a lot of the problems they are having now. We were allowed to speak our mind. It’s absolutely devastating for me. Last time I looked, this is America. This is still a free country.”

Todd Starnes is a FOX News Radio reporter and best-selling author.

Read more: http://www.foxnewsradio.com/2010/05/09/teacher-deems-american-flag-offensive/#ixzz0nXdwTBH0

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
Damn right, Kick that bitch out of the school system, we don't need teachers like that.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
That bitch needs her lips cut off and mouth sewed shut for this offense....oh wait other countries in the world punish like that, not ours.....God Bless America!

Oh yeah, copy and paste for other forums.....thanks Mach1!

Gib

DrunkFatguy

I'd like to know why she told the student "you shouldn't have gotten your parents involved". Is she more comfortable Intimidating and threatening young children and finds it easier to push her Anti american agenda if the parents do not know? It sound quite a lot like what a Pedophile would say also used in the form of a threat.

Daniboy1983

I am here in Afghanistan and after reading this I wish I was inside a classroom within our own borders. At least then I would be able to keep children from crazy teachers like this. This teacher obviously has no respect for anything our country has provided her, and who does she think she is keeping a child's parents out of its education. Every GOOD teacher should want the parents involved.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I support water boarding this so called teacher. Give her a taste of what other countries would do to her for teaching that is no in favor of her own country. What the hell is going on with our education system where the children are taught to be ashame of their own country? Those teachers need to be run out of the system so they can no longer corrupt our young people. Is it not bad enough the young people are not even taught American History? We need to go back to the ways school were when we were going. American History is a required subject, and we are taught to appreciate our own country for what it provide us and those whose sacrifice to allow us to enjoy the freedom to pursuit whatever we want to. Wake up America, before there is no America left.

Shane361

I just dont understand..and these people are popping up left and rite. Many times the person offended by the American flag gets obliged and the owner of the flag has to take it down. WTH??? What about THEM getting offended by the offended!?

Mach1Marauder

I just dont understand..and these people are popping up left and rite. Many times the person offended by the American flag gets obliged and the owner of the flag has to take it down. WTH??? What about THEM getting offended by the offended!?

This teacher deeply offends me!

Shane361

I think that freedom of speech should have its lines. I dont care if anyone things rites are being violated. For instance and call me a bad guy but the leaders of the Warlboro Babtist Church should all be hung till dead for treason against the United States of American. 100 years ago..THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN!

gmantheman

I know this will soon be talked about on A:M 600 and A:M 760. The teacher sounds like some liberal, pot smoking hippie.

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule.
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,
We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!
Amen

Fighting Sailor

San Angelo TX
Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule.
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
Becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That's no offense; it's a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
Might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God's name is prohibited by the state.

We're allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
And pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They've outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the 'unwed daddy,' our Senior King.
It's 'inappropriate' to teach right from wrong,
We're taught that such 'judgments' do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.

It's scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school's a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; My soul please take!
Amen

Amen Brother!

lemonademaker

its scary that there's people like here teaching our nation's children.

The other week I was chatting with my wife's little cousin (11 years old). He had no idea who Osama Bin Laden is... or why we were at war in Afghanistan. *shakes head*