• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tranny and Purge Valve question

98Stang

So I have a 98 3.8 auto mustang. I've taken care of it pretty well but this is what has happened lately. Any suggestions and feedback is greatly helpful.

I had an engine light that came on and had it checked and was told my "fuel vapor purge valve" needed replacing. This happened after I jacked up my car one day and gas started leaking out of the tank (where the filler neck meets the tank).

Also, I'm pretty sure the transmission fluid has never been changed. The other day I was driving and felt like my tranny was on fire!! I was told by a buddy who is a mechanic that if i changed the transmission oil now, it'll never shift right again??

Any suggestions or tips with these problems i have? thanks everyone

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Sounds like you got some fluid in your fuel vapor line (SMOG CRAP). You can wait for the gas to boil off, could take awhile, or disconnect the line under the hood and blow it back into the gas tank. Take you gas cap off the tank prior to blowing out the line.

As for the tansmission...good luck with that.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
So I have a 98 3.8 auto mustang. I've taken care of it pretty well but this is what has happened lately. Any suggestions and feedback is greatly helpful.

I had an engine light that came on and had it checked and was told my "fuel vapor purge valve" needed replacing. This happened after I jacked up my car one day and gas started leaking out of the tank (where the filler neck meets the tank).

Also, I'm pretty sure the transmission fluid has never been changed. The other day I was driving and felt like my tranny was on fire!! I was told by a buddy who is a mechanic that if i changed the transmission oil now, it'll never shift right again??

Any suggestions or tips with these problems i have? thanks everyone

What was your code?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
There are several codes that can lead to fuel vapor purge valve, I need the exact code to help you out... Do you have a code reader? Have you checked your gas cap? Make sure it working properly..

Lynch Mob

Carver, MA
dont change ur tranny fluid either!!! like your buddy said it wont ever shift the same. if anything yoiu could add a little bit of fluid to whats in there if it's not full. i highly recomend (red line tranny fluid) takers care of any grinding or hard shifts.