• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What can I do with motor and still pass smog?

SD01StangVert

Rice burners... lol
Hi All,

I have an 01 GT vert that is a long slow project. It is prety set up all around and I am getting to major items. In the works is a Torsen T2 diff, 31 spline axles (staying at 3.73). Followed with a new TR3650+ from American Powertrain, Exedy Mach 500 clutch and Exedy flywheel.

Thanks to Danny I am going to go Kenne Bell down the road, frickin amazing, thanks Danny

I have about 85K on her now of hard street driving but motor is strong. If budget happens I will rebuild or replace the motor before charging, this would be the ideal. I have to smog every two years and pass no issue. I have the stock mid pipe and headers but that is about the only things left lol.

So here are a few of my long term questions

1. Rebuild or Crate?
2. What can you go to and still pass smog? I mean can you rebuild to a 5.0 and just not say anything? :angel:
3. Just rebuild to a beefy 4.6?

Performance short and long block 4.6 prices are dropping all the time and are getting to be an easy option to rebuilding but I have never done this large of a step on a car. I'm not really a hands on kind of person at this stage in my life and would have a shop do the heavy lifting on this one but want to make sure what combo I go with won't become a smog nightmare the following year.

Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks all

Dan
01 GT Vert

Attachments

• MBTB2012_1.jpg
    MBTB2012_1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 82

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Good to see you decided on the KB.

For me, my plan is to rebuild my block with forged internal and stroke out to a 5.1. That shouldn't be a problem in passing smog with it. Even with a visual, all they will see is the stock block. But my personal thinking it will not effect smog. But I will defer to someone who is more familiar in that sense.

SD01StangVert

Rice burners... lol
The KB was actually an easy decision when you stack everything up side by side with comparable units. Plus that bread box is just the engine bay bling I need

Ford1288

Donator
I would call MMR (Modular Mustang Racing). They are in the LA area and should be able to lend some advice in the engine building area. As far as a blower, I would also look into tork tech I think it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I would call MMR (Modular Mustang Racing). They are in the LA area and should be able to lend some advice in the engine building area. As far as a blower, I would also look into tork tech I think it's called.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think they make the blower for a 2V

luckychance

hey welcome...lucky for u guys with 2-4v 4.6 prices are staying the same, for us 3v not so much. i sold my old motor for pennies to the dollar. then few months later frpp decided not to make them anymore and now they are going about 2k for shortblock fml. anyways if u are looking to build, i would stay away from mmr...if u look around the internet youll will see one horror story after the other. im on another site where lots of peeps have some serious goodies put under their hood and the ones that have gone that route have been given the short end of the stick and and/or had been given bait and switch techniques...just not a professional way to run a business imo when u put your hard earned cash into it. u can have shops build u a shortblock but in my opinion it comes out the same price and with more downtime than buying a crate. save urself the time and get a crate knowing at least its put together right than having some shody shop that doesnt specialize in that type of motor get it all wrong. the lowest ive seen 4.6 go for that matter is from CHP $2700-3600. but their stuff isnt made from name brand parts ie mahle,manley etc. more like imported stuff made to their specs. the price is nice though and they have different horsepower options so its budget friendly. otherwise the normal prices are about 3700k but ull have a motor good for 800+ hp, stage3motorsports had 4.6 stroker for 3700k and 7% off with free shipping, no tax a while back. if i were u, id wait a little longer and check out frpp catalog. they are coming out with a barrage of motors, one being the aluminator 46x. its a 4.6 stroked out to 5.0 and can accept 2,3 or 4v heads. that is going to be the cats jammies and would be my choice.

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/2012/11/ford-racing-rolls-out-new-crate-motors/

if u do end up buying any frpp parts. check out tousley ford parts and ask for steve. i shopped around and guarantee u they have the best prices on everything ford. motors included.

Brent Riffel

Stroke and port all you want - smog issues only lie in the cam selection and needing cat. convertors. Talk to some guys in the know with what you plan to build and have them help you find the most power-efficient cams you can get but still stay smog legal.