• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

02 GT getting cleaned up

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
The last couple days I have been detailing, degreasing, and plasti dipping. And the next few days I'm going to clay, buff and wax the car. its been a rough couple days and its going to get harder with all the buffing. Let me know what you guys think.
20131114_143426.jpg
Front 2 wheels plasti dipped blackwith clear coat.
20131115_162247.jpg
Rear wheels
20131114_143231.jpg
Re-painted my calipers
20131115_163801.jpg
Washed and detailed engine. Blacked out headlights.

Last edited:

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
20131116_150052.jpg 20131116_150038.jpg
So today I steam cleaned my carpet and my seats. I cleaned all inside windows and used Interior detailer for all vynal. Everthying looks brand new. Tomorrow I start the clay and buff.

Ferocious

Chula Vista
Hey Jared, do you have an orbital polisher by any chance? Or are you doing all the buffing & waxing by hand?

I'm asking cause my paint is pretty faded in some areas and I don't feel like spending $200 on a porter cable.

Car looks great btw. I'm digging the red fender stripes.

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
Hey Jared, do you have an orbital polisher by any chance? Or are you doing all the buffing & waxing by hand?

I'm asking cause my paint is pretty faded in some areas and I don't feel like spending $200 on a porter cable.

Car looks great btw. I'm digging the red fender stripes.

I bought a cheap polisher from walmart for 25 bucks. The cheap ones are not great but get the job done.

If you need to barrow it after I'm done u can or just buy the same one at walmart. Turtle wax makes it.

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
Alright thanks dude. I'll go look into it. I really need to get her polished up nice for the auto show.

The auto show is the reason I'm doing all this work. Car is going to sit in a garage for a month.

The most expensive part is to buy the clay, compound, polisher and wax. Only buy the best. The car will look brand new when your done.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
I'm using meguiars for both.
+1 on meguiars.

But question for you guys, you are referring to rubbing compound right? Why are you using that? I would think for paint in your condition clay bar, polish and wax would be great. Polish will remove swirls and imperfections in the paint. Rubbing compound actually removes part of your clearcoat, and can remove it completely and start cutting into the base coat. It's usually meant for badly damaged paint with deep swirls, scratches or oxidation.

Not saying it's not a useful tool, but it should be used with caution and only where necessary. I definitely wouldn't use it on a whole car with paint in good condition. At most only on select trouble areas if the polish doesn't remove the swirls or scratches.

Even if the end product looks great, what is unseen may be that the clearcoat is now thinner or completely removed in some areas. Yes the wax will still protect the base coat, but the result will be a shorter life for your paint and more work to maintain it in the future. Just my .02

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
+1 on meguiars.

But question for you guys, you are referring to rubbing compound right? Why are you using that? I would think for paint in your condition clay bar, polish and wax would be great. Polish will remove swirls and imperfections in the paint. Rubbing compound actually removes part of your clearcoat, and can remove it completely and start cutting into the base coat. It's usually meant for badly damaged paint with deep swirls, scratches or oxidation.

Not saying it's not a useful tool, but it should be used with caution and only where necessary. I definitely wouldn't use it on a whole car with paint in good condition. At most only on select trouble areas if the polish doesn't remove the swirls or scratches.

Even if the end product looks great, what is unseen may be that the clearcoat is now thinner or completely removed in some areas. Yes the wax will still protect the base coat, but the result will be a shorter life for your paint and more work to maintain it in the future. Just my .02

I absolutly agree with u thay compound take away clear cloat by cutting it away. The amount I cut away is very minute, now if I was wet sanding and buffing that is a different story since that takes away an entire layer. Compound takes away any scratches a surface will have and doing this every ten or so years will not hurt the paint.

Car looks great and ill post some pics up soon.