• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1991 5.0 GT Engine help please.

Drw1992

Hey guys, this is my first car. bought a year ago and never really got it checked out until enough was enough. I have a cold start issue and awhile ago my car also over heated. I went to a Ford dealership today because Autozone and Oriley's don't have the gear to test it. Got these fault codes.....
32, 41, 53, 63, 96....

The mechanic wrote down a description of what they are but its kinda sloppy so pardon me if i dont make sense.

-c x h leak 1'41. o2 not swx 6 an 1
- tp sensor bad
gar valve PFE sensor bad
plug wires bad #6 burnt through, broke dead valve
(temp repair #6 plug wire)

if this makes sense what places can i get the parts cheap? thanks

they also gave me a parts sheet... L and R exh manifold, exh gaskets, exh bolts, eqr valve, evp sensor, tp sensor, plug wires, plug.

Sick06Stang

The one you love to hate!!
Um... If you have a bad valve, no point in fixing the other stuff untill you have that fixed. Means pulling the head and haveing them reworked. Which means haveing both heads off. Thats the basics. Theres alot more to it then that, suck as compression test, leak down test to see if the short block needs a rebuld aswell.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Hey guys, this is my first car. bought a year ago and never really got it checked out until enough was enough. I have a cold start issue and awhile ago my car also over heated. I went to a Ford dealership today because Autozone and Oriley's don't have the gear to test it. Got these fault codes.....
32, 41, 53, 63, 96....

The mechanic wrote down a description of what they are but its kinda sloppy so pardon me if i dont make sense.

-c x h leak 1'41. o2 not swx 6 an 1
- tp sensor bad
gar valve PFE sensor bad
plug wires bad #6 burnt through, broke dead valve
(temp repair #6 plug wire)

if this makes sense what places can i get the parts cheap? thanks

they also gave me a parts sheet... L and R exh manifold, exh gaskets, exh bolts, eqr valve, evp sensor, tp sensor, plug wires, plug.
When i get home i will help u solve all those issues..

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Not a hugh deal 32 EVP - (R) EGR not responding properly during test
EVR - (O, R, M) EVP signal is/was low
PFE - (R, M) PFE shows low pressure, EGR not seating or memory, not seating intermittently

This is the one you want to fix first the other three should go away -41 (R) System lean
(M) System was lean for 15 seconds or more (no HO2S switching)

53 Throttle Position sensor too high

63 Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) signal too low

69 AXOD transmission (O) 3/2 switch closed (possible short circuit)
AXOD (M) 3/2 switch open (poss short to power)
E4OD 3/4 shift problem

I will post what you have to do... For Code 41

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
For my Code 41 / 91 I did the below... Turnout to be my 19 wire not in the right position..
41 - System Indicates Lean -passenger side(R), No O2 Sensor Switching Detected. always lean -passenger side(CM)
91 - System Indicates Lean -driver side(R), No O2 Sensor Switching Detected. always lean -driver side(CM)

For Code 41 and 91 do a continuity test from pin 49 at the ECM connector, ECM disconnected, to a good ground source, the resistance reading should be equal/less than 5 ohms

SDC10091.JPG

Codes 41/91 (Lean Condition) specific tests:
For codes 41/91 (lean condition), it is always recommended to check the condition of the HEGO GND circuit (pin 49 at ECM connector), a bad/open ground circuit will cause lean readings from the O2 sensors. The HEGO GND is an Orange wire, with a ring connector, that goes bolted to the back of the driver side cylinder head. Identified as item #19 in the following harness diagram.

'86-'93 O2 sensors are 3-wire setups, eventhough the following chart shows a 4-wire setup, the tests can be performed as specified. 3-wire sensors DO NOT use a SIG RTN circuit....
mustangharness_Injectors-to-carb.GIF

View attachment 3146

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Once you clear the code 91, fixing the TPS is simple it can be adjusted by loosening the sensor and rotating:
Watch and learn. If you cannot reach the required voltage, you can elongate the hole to get there. If that doesn't work, you'll have to buy one at Autozone or Oriellys.

Drw1992

well i finally got a few things done with my car today. i put in some chrome headers, and got new spark plug wires in. checked my 41/91 on the cars computer to pin 49. grounds good. didnt get to the tps but now everything seems worse. my car starts up and i drove it for two miles in 50 mph zone but i couldnt get past 45 :/ then it cut off 6 more times trying to get back home. i think my co- workers set up my wires to the distributor wrong any help if it makes sense.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I would check the plug wires first since you touched them last. Make certain they are tight on the plug and the firing order is correct.

Drw1992

the firing orders good, headers are still hot so i havent checked near those thurough. my co worker also took the air filter off the EGR? i think. could that cause an issue too? it back on now but still

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Yes, all those parts on the EGR are very important. You will get unmetered air into the car and screw it all up. I dont know about a filter, it's been awhile since I've had an EGR. If you are speaking about the piece on top that your vacuum line plugs into, that's extremely important. You also need to check all of you vacuum lines for damage.