• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3.73 or 4.10?

Tom Davis

I am going to put new rear gears in my 2011 V6 and I currently have a set of 4.10 gears that I bought years ago for my old GT but I never installed them. I asked The Mustang Shop which is better and they said that because I have the six speed I should think about doing the 3.73's because I would be burning through my gears really quick with the 4.10's. They also said to ask other people what they think of 4.10's in a manual car.....do any of you guys have 4.10's? If so, what do ya'll think will work better in my car?

2K7GTCS

From everything I have read about the 2011+ 6-speed manuals in the V6 and GT (NOT the GT500, which is a double overdrive :confused:), the 3.73 is the best choice. Anything lower (numerically higher), and first gear will become just about useless.

Everyone has their own preferences, and selecting rear axle gear ratio is always a trade-off. I prefer to do the math, and figure out exactly what speed and rpm the car will be in each gear. Rear axle ratio and tire size work together to produce the final drive ratio.

I think SilverSurfer619 has the 3.73's installed in his 2011 V6. Maybe he will chime in with his direct experience.

1WKDRSH

Pueblo, Co President
Staff member
Donator
Board Member
I have 4.10's in mine, my stang is supercharged and a V8 5 speed so there is some difference there. I had 3.55's in so for me it was a better choice since I have heard going one size lower you wouldn't notice a difference. I have several members here on the Island with 4.10's and they like them.

sgt.rosenfield

I would go 3.73...oh wait I did...and love them. Although if I had a set of 4.10 and no one wanted to trade I would have thrown those in.

SilverSurfer619

I love the 3.73 from the factory 2.73 gears. I think the 4.10's would be too much for the car. The 3.73 really woke up the v6 and do not regret it. Ultimately the choice is yours.

Vaporizyed

La Mesa, CA
I have 3.73's in mine and love them! I would say 3.73's would be better especially if your Mustang is your daily driver.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Go with the 3.73 gears and spend the extra money for the Ford Racing Gears. I have installed many gears over the years, around 15 sets, and the Ford Racing Gears go in easier and are 99% whisper quiet. SPEND THE EXTRA $20.