• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

clutch

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
Has anyone done a clutch on one of these yet? I wanted to wait for Todd to get back but that wont be till later in the month and I wont have time to put the miles on the car before barona. So I was wondering if anyone has done one before who could help me out. I am just going to replace the clutch have fly wheel resurfaced and change out the piolet bushing. I need to get 500 miles on the car so I can go race. I was thinking about tackling the job mon or tues. any help or aadvice would be greatly app.
Phill

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I remember watching a couple of guys doing a clutch on a S197 at the hobby shop. Looked pretty straight forward. Remove all the stuff in the way of the tranny, unbolt, drop tranny, pull old clutch, replace and put it back together. It didnt look like there was any major issues with it. They didnt seem like they were "Old Pros" at working on cars either.

I am sure someone will give a better idea of what it takes.

Gib

northerncountry

yeah like Gibs said it's pretty straight forward the biggest pain in the ass is the top bolts on the tranny as always. and bleeding the system because there is no room between the tunnel and the tranny I have a repair manual if you want to borrow it.

blackstallion06

Donator
I have the repair man going to read up. If its that big of a pain in the ass I am just going to find a shop. I am going to call some of our sponsers tom and see who can give me a better deal.

chasedtwisted73

The guy who sold me my car told me he put in a stage 2 racing clutch but it is stiff as hell that does not mean that is the way it should be right?

M

Mustangcwo

The guy who sold me my car told me he put in a stage 2 racing clutch but it is stiff as hell that does not mean that is the way it should be right?

Usually when you step up in clutch stages, the springs have a higher tension level and in turn stiffens the pedal. Unless you have a hydraulic clutch, then you shouldn't feel a thing.

blackstallion06

Donator
I cant wait to get this thing in the car. Going to try to race on stock one this weekend we will see