• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How to reset your base idle and how to check and adjust your tps

(NW)Drake

who said that getting old sucks :-P
Do this at your own risk, i assume no liability if damages are done to the car if something were to go wrong. Read this post completely before starting this. That being said lets work on some vehicles
cooldude.gif
Ok guys i see that some people are having idle issues this may be for you esp if you have just done a rebuild.

Tools that you will need, a voltmeter, flat head screwdriver, socket or wrench size that you need for your battery cable, drill and drill bits and a Philips screwdriver

Ok so, if your having idle issues and you have ruled out everything else to include your tps voltage, vacuum leaks...etc, follow this step by step.

1. Disconnect your negative on your battery to clear/reset your computers memory. caution when ever you disconnect your battery remove the negative first then positive, reconnect in the reverse order, if you dont you can possibly cause a battery explosion or destroy your computer. Leave your battery disconnected for at least 30 mins to let the capacitors in the ECM to discharge fully.

2. Disconnect the IAC connector.

3. Reconnect your battery.

4. Start the motor, with the IAC plug disconnected.

5. Set your idle, via the stop plate screw on the throttle body, between 650-850 rpms, it is best to set it at the lowest setting to prevent idle problems, such as surging, rolling etc.

6. Turn the motor off and reconnect the plug on the IAC.

7. Start the motor at let it run for 2-4 mins at idle with all accessories off, if the motor stalls out or the idle drops to low repeat steps 4-6.

8. Once your idle is good, turn the motor off and wait 2 mins, then start it back up and run for another 2 mins with all accessories on.

9. Check your TPS voltage. It should be at .98v if not refer below on how to set it.

10. If your idle and TPS are good, allow 10-20 mins to let the computer "relearn" under normal driving conditions.

How to check and set your TPS
Note to check and set your TPS the key must be turned on without the motor running, this also may require a second person.

To do this you will need to set your voltmeter to 20 volts dc, then take your negative lead on the voltmeter and pierce the coating on the black wire(SIGRTN) and with the positive lead pierce the green wire coating (TPS signal) side note the orange wire is VREF. The voltage between black and green wires should be .98v if not you will have to adjust it to .98v.

To do this if you dont have an adjustable TPS. Loosen the 2 philips head screws on the tps and play with it to avoid unnecessary drilling, if you cannot get it to .98v without drilling, drill out on hole on the TPS (when i did this i drilled the hole closest to the front of the car not the one closest to the firewall), NOT your throttle body, just enough to move it to .98v.

Once your TPS is at .98 carefully tighten the screw down that you didnt drill, then recheck the black and green wires for .98v, then tighten down the screw that you did drill, tighten down both screws, check the black and green wires for .98v if its at .98v still you are good.

The orange high light is if you dont have a second person other wise follow what the previous paragraph states the blue highlight is if you have 2 people and the black is if you have or dont have 2 people.

If you have any questions or comments send me a pm or post up here. Btw i hope someone could make this a sticky.
bounce2.gif

(NW)Drake

Also i will be starting up a youtube channel to make videos on how to do certain test or changes sometime in the future

(NW)Drake

Lol there is some progress just not a whole lot lol, its on the thread u commented on lol