• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

IM SO FREAKING LOST, IM PULLING MY HAIR OUT

(NW)Drake

who said that getting old sucks :-P
you are saying the Chain and gearset have "130,000" miles or 130K miles right... it's installed in a Mustang, I've seen chains last somewhere around 150k or better with maintained and regularly driven vehicles but given this is a vehicle whose throttle is (lets be Honest now! it is a Mustang!) regularly flogged, it may have stretched. I would leave no stone unturned hunting this problem, you never know.

if it is a stretched timing chain it wouldnt go away like cwo said with my vacuum leak theory

(NW)Drake

If it was dumping fuel due to a vacuum leak, it would be on the high end. Running lean at idle is a vacuum leak. My last vacuum leak showed 16:1 at idle. Besides, vacuum leaks dont go away!!!! If the computer is demanding fuel, it is seeing air without actually getting any air.

Did you check the MAF yet. MAF plus O2 sensors determine fuel load!!!!

with the burning rich its always doing this the popping sound only happens if i dont let it idle for several minuets if it is clear tomorrow im going to get a video of my car starting up and running and i will also show you what happens sometimes.

(NW)Drake

so guys i replaced my maf and it still has the same problems. so next step is the vacuum lines im replacing them as soon as they come im getting them off ebay on friday i need someone to help me install them cuz its gonna be a bitch, i most likely am going to have to take off the upper intake to do so. so its going take awhile anyone got any ideas on this?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
O.k. dumb question here, but I saw you replaced the TPS sensor. Did you set the voltage? Why haven't you pulled some sparkplugs? Have you cleaned the salt n pepper connectors with electronic cleaner? If none of that works try pulling the o2 sensor wires off and tie them up. Drive it and see if it is still happening.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
O.k. dumb question here, but I saw you replaced the TPS sensor. Did you set the voltage? Why haven't you pulled some sparkplugs? Have you cleaned the salt n pepper connectors with electronic cleaner? If none of that works try pulling the o2 sensor wires off and tie them up. Drive it and see if it is still happening.

Drake, this guy is really good. Take his advice. I know that the TPS voltage has been set, but the salt and pepper is a good idea and the O2 sensor pull should have been done long ago.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I know that you replaced them already from reading the thread. Unplug them and make sure the wires don't get burnt, so tie them up away from the exhaust. Drive the car and see if it still happens.

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
Drake Liston to Orange and see what the car does. Then post up about it. I would be more than happy to wrench on your car. Its easier if we know what we are looking for though or trying to replace.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
Any word on this car? Does this car have long tube headers? Does it have an adjustable FPR? Have you tried unplugging the O2's yet? Does this car have cats on it? After all of the parts were swapped/cleaned was the computer reset?

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I just went back and read the original post and saw that you in fact have long tubes. When exactly did this start happening and what was the last mod you did to the car before this started? Sorry if I missed it, but does this happen only when cold, only when hot or both?

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Orange, this is a cold car issue. Like you, I'm interested how the car operates with the O2 sensors unplugged and yes he has been reseting the computer.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
My guess is that the O2's are not reading correctly because they are about 12" farther back (not as hot) than with shorties. This is a common problem people see when using long tube headers. Since the O2's are cold the O2's probably seeing a higher content of oxygen. When that happens the computer will throw more fuel.

If he unplugs the O2's and the problem goes away then you may have your answer.

(NW)Drake

The burning rich is not what im concerned withits always done that even before i replaced them. And after i replaced them it was several mths after when the popping sound started. I've been looking at other sites for mustangs lately and as of recently I've been getting my canister purge valve code comming up and I've noticed that the tank no longer hisses anymore when i remove my gas cap. It also has a non vented cap on it so if that system was working right it should hiss. So im going skip the hose kit and replace what the dtc is telling me see if that is the problem. I will also unplug the o2s and see what happens. Any input on the canister purge valve replacement pls let me know. It would be faster for someone to text or call me about it my number ks 3604704956 i have Verizon if anyone is worried about min useage or text usage

(NW)Drake

ok so i threw on a afr meter and its only hooked up to one o2 sensor so im going to buy a multi selector switch to switch between the 2 but as of right now its burning rich atleast on one side

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
It wouldn't hurt to either get some hose pinch pliers and start checking lines or just start replacing the 20yr old vacuum lines that are on there.