• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Just picked my first hand gun!

atlblue98gt

Greer, SC
I decided to go with the Ruger sr9. Got it for $400 plus tax. Got the gun, holster, and hallow points for under $480 including tax.
mms_picture-1.jpg

loaded with self defense and target rounds.
mms_picture.jpg

0214101019.jpg

Already fired 65 rounds through the gun. Very accurate and consistent. Took it appart and cleaned it already.
mms_picture-2.jpg

Looking at getting an affordable laser for it, first.
ref=dp_image_0

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Compact-Laser-Sight-weaver/dp/B002YJMAQM/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1"]Amazon.com: Pistol Compact 5mw Red Laser Sight for weaver base gun: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Then gonna get a better laser. Prolly the one mad for the gun.
ref=dp_image_0

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Viridian%C2%AE-Green-Laser-Sight-Ruger%C2%AE/dp/B001SH7WOG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1266177290&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Viridian® SR Green Laser Sight for Ruger® SR9: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

BurnieB78

if i were you i would buy some ball point round to send down range and save the hollows for self defense

mustangtim

South Carolina
congrats man (guns can be addictive like working on Mustangs) I have a Taurus.38,Ruger.357 and a Para Ordinence .45. Not to mention a few riffles and shot guns. Have fun & be carefull.

Paul Huizenga

if i were you i would buy some ball point round to send down range and save the hollows for self defense

I respectfully disagree. If you are going to rely on it for self-defense, don't trust it until you've put at least 100 rounds of your load of choice through it without any stoppages, and preferably far more.

Every handgun will reliably cycle with FMJ. Some won't with certain kinds of hollowpoint ammunition. I would MUCH rather find this out at the range than in the Real World. If you REALLY want to give your autoloader a workout, mix in a couple of fired cases into a magazine and see if it will chamber them, or if they hang on the feed ramp. Better yet, get a buddy to load the mag so you don't know when you're going to get a 'click' instead of a 'bang' - makes for great failure drill practice.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
If you REALLY want to give your autoloader a workout, mix in a couple of fired cases into a magazine and see if it will chamber them, or if they hang on the feed ramp. Better yet, get a buddy to load the mag so you don't know when you're going to get a 'click' instead of a 'bang' - makes for great failure drill practice.

This is what we do for our training. Very good suggestion.

Mach1Marauder

I respectfully disagree. If you are going to rely on it for self-defense, don't trust it until you've put at least 100 rounds of your load of choice through it without any stoppages, and preferably far more.

Every handgun will reliably cycle with FMJ. Some won't with certain kinds of hollowpoint ammunition. I would MUCH rather find this out at the range than in the Real World. If you REALLY want to give your autoloader a workout, mix in a couple of fired cases into a magazine and see if it will chamber them, or if they hang on the feed ramp. Better yet, get a buddy to load the mag so you don't know when you're going to get a 'click' instead of a 'bang' - makes for great failure drill practice.
:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Shane361

True true..after I bought my Cavalry Arms M4 it jammed 10 times the first 100 rounds. Put a few more hundred through with zero jams. Weapons have to wear in which is another reason why you shouldnt interchange parts. -Shane

atlblue98gt

Greer, SC
Are you saying i NEED to fire 100 of self defense ammo before its reliable? i plan on shooting prolly over 1000 rounds before i carry it concealled. Those are close to $2.00 each. I plan on shooting a couple clips of self defense when I can find them. Right now I bought the last box of hollow points they had. I know the SR9 it name brand picky. I fired my friends SR9 before I bought mine. The remington ball point jams at least once a clip with the the target remington. I found out winchester. federal . blazer. and monarch fire good through this gun. Im prolly gonna get my CWP with my tax refund. Just gotta get intimate with the gun first.

Paul Huizenga

Are you saying i NEED to fire 100 of self defense ammo before its reliable? i plan on shooting prolly over 1000 rounds before i carry it concealled. Those are close to $2.00 each. I plan on shooting a couple clips of self defense when I can find them. Right now I bought the last box of hollow points they had. I know the SR9 it name brand picky. I fired my friends SR9 before I bought mine. The remington ball point jams at least once a clip with the the target remington. I found out winchester. federal . blazer. and monarch fire good through this gun. Im prolly gonna get my CWP with my tax refund. Just gotta get intimate with the gun first.

Break it in with whatever is cheapest - that part doesn't matter. I'm just saying that I would never trust any carry load that I hadn't fired extensively.

100 rounds isn't a lot in the big scheme of things, especially when we're talking about something your life may depend upon. One failure-to-feed in 100 rounds fired doesn't seem like a big deal, until it happens right after the first shot you fire in self-defense. If it takes $200 worth of ammo to get the minimal peace-of-mind that comes from knowing it will feed and fire 100 rounds in a row without stopping, it's cheap insurance. Plus, you get the added benefit of a lot of practice with the actual load you'll be using; the same point of aim, the same muzzle flash, the same recoil. That in itself is worth the money.

Donut

Here you go - you can thank me later. ;)

http://www.streichers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Catalog=Guns and Ammo&Category=AMMO_FEDD&Prod=FC-9HST

Federal HST - probably the baddest JHP design on the market right now. $0.50/round from Streichers. I carry the 124gr +P 9mm, and 230gr +P .45 in states I'm allowed to carry in.

$100 to put 200 rounds through your gun for a function and reliability test is a small pricetag for peace of mind.

Mach1Marauder

Break it in with whatever is cheapest - that part doesn't matter. I'm just saying that I would never trust any carry load that I hadn't fired extensively.

100 rounds isn't a lot in the big scheme of things, especially when we're talking about something your life may depend upon. One failure-to-feed in 100 rounds fired doesn't seem like a big deal, until it happens right after the first shot you fire in self-defense. If it takes $200 worth of ammo to get the minimal peace-of-mind that comes from knowing it will feed and fire 100 rounds in a row without stopping, it's cheap insurance. Plus, you get the added benefit of a lot of practice with the actual load you'll be using; the same point of aim, the same muzzle flash, the same recoil. That in itself is worth the money.

Exactly!
Cheap FMJ for the break in.
And then go out with the round you plan to use, shoot "normally" at regular targets for a bit to get the accuracy down and then shoot rounds of 3 or 5 rapidly until you get a nice pattern.:rock: