• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Megasquirt Injection Set-up

AdaptiveProfessionals

I am looking at purchasing the megasquirt plug-and play kit from DIY Autotune.com, but wanted to solicit opinions about any vehicles yuou guys have seen with this setup, or if anybosy has it themselves. My dad got the kit you have to solder together yourself with an olcder version of the firmware (the one that won't run the injectors sequentially, only batch fire) and put it on a Chevy TPI setup to run an an old smallblock with marginal success. I have also heard good things about this kit, but wanted some opinions from you guys. Thanks.

RonaldJamesThickness

Whidbey Island, WA
Donator
well ive seen it done on fully built miatas but ive never heard of it done with a V8 my recommendation would be to get a good tuning program depending on what engine ur doing it for like if ur wanting it for a 4.6L then definitely go with a SCT tuner or if u know all the parameters and ratios then try sniper tuning and with that u can tune and adjust anything u can imagine but it all depends on what engine and what end result ur looking for. so first what motor are u trying to put this on? and second what results are u trying to get?

AdaptiveProfessionals

I'm just trying to get some drivability from my 92' 5.0. It has abunch of parts causing problems, and i've been chasing around loose ends on someone elses shoddy work since I got it. My Dad has built one for a 2.5 chevy in an MG midget road race chassis, but we haven't tuned or set it up yet, and I was wondering if anyone had experience. I'd like the tunability the system offers, but could always use something less expensive (not that $650 for a plug and play system with base map is bad).

AdaptiveProfessionals

Also, i know the ECU is not a fix all no matter what kind you get. My car isn't running bad however, it just needs to be leaned out at idle and have the curves smoothed out.

RonaldJamesThickness

Whidbey Island, WA
Donator
oh yeah then definitely go with the sniper tuning itll give u full tuning options and u can data log to see everything and its alot cheaper and easier than doin a megasquirt setup

RonaldJamesThickness

Whidbey Island, WA
Donator
yeah google it i know they sell it at rpmoutlet.com or you can go directly to their website but like i said u can adjust everything so u have to be careful not to adjust anything too much otherwise u can fry ur ecu this program is a full blown tuner and youll have to install the programing on a laptop or something similar and u can tune on the fly if the laptop is in ur car so its really nice

AdaptiveProfessionals

From what I can see the megasquirt is still actually cheaper.. the Delta Force Tuning website list the initial cost at $695, and I don't even know if that come with the first license (I'm sure it does). That's at least as expensive if not more, but a viable option to say the least. I will be investigating into it more.

RonaldJamesThickness

Whidbey Island, WA
Donator
ooh ok yeah i have a 95 5.0 so im in the same boat i guess u could do a chip which is under $300 or u can go to a carburetor and tune it whenever u want and thats what im thinking about doing eventually and thats even cheaper cuz u can craigslist an intake manifold and find a decent carb especially if youve already done stuff to it like exhaust and ignition but i would only do that if ur efi is failing and thats cheap easy horsepower

AdaptiveProfessionals

My EFI isn't failing by anymeans, and there is already a MSD 6AL box in it, with cam and aftermarket shorties, 289 heads, and a built-up breadbox upperintake manifold (I think the lower is stock, maybe port matched) I just want it to ba a nasty beach cruiser that my wife can drive reliably on the weekends, or occsaionally to work(originally bought it for her, as I would have preferred a non-convertible.) In a few ore years it will be elliegible for antique tags here in virginia, which means no more instpection!! Then it is time for business! But back to the injection, I think I may buy the megasquirt, but not the plug and play... I can put it together and that saves me the 50% premium on pre-assembled units.

RonaldJamesThickness

Whidbey Island, WA
Donator
ok so its sounds like you already have a pretty sweet setup hows ur timing is it dead center or do u keep it slightly retarded? and how much would that non assembled kits cost?

AdaptiveProfessionals

The timing is retarded, but I'm running super rich with my 30 lbs injectors. (by smell, not by measuring) The kit you have to assemble is around $300, maybe slightly less depending onexactly what your trying to do. It is very programable, and is not a piggyback, so it has full parameter control.
Alos, there is a plethora of open source base maps for 5.0 on the internet. Took my dad about a month of 30 minute evenings to solder his up and get it ready to install.

RonaldJamesThickness

Whidbey Island, WA
Donator
ok nice that sounds pretty good especially if theres base maps for it i just hope ur good at soldering lol cuz that would seems to be the only pain.