• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

OVERHEATING

1995cobra

Donator
yesterday i took the Cobra out for a drive, I made it about 10 miles when i saw smoke coming from the hood I stopped and shut off the car right away when i opened the hood i noticed antifreeze everywhere. after about 30 mins of letting it cool i was able to get it started and got it home without it even getting hot. I replaced the thermostat and gasket and took it for a drive today and didnt even get 1 mile before it overheated again. I was told by a friend to take out the thermostat and see if it overheats if it does then it isnt the thermostat. does anyone know what it can be I dont think it is a head gasket i had a place look at it and they checked the oil and it didnt have any moisture and wasnt burning at all.

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
check your radiator cap. samething happened to me when i had my 95gt. the cap was fubarred after i replaced it i think it was 12 bucks at kragen. everything was fine.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Also, check the operation of your fan. If it's electric, make certain it is turning on. If it's a clutch fan, the clutch is probably worn out.

1995cobra

Donator
Also, check the operation of your fan. If it's electric, make certain it is turning on. If it's a clutch fan, the clutch is probably worn out.

when I start the car the fan turns on, I cant tell you what its doing when im driving cause the car is so loud i cant hear much that is going on under the hood.
I took it to a shop and they looked at the thermostat that i put in yesterday, they couldnt believe it was new because of all of the rust that is already on it. they are going to replace it again and put on a new gaskey. they are going to replace the upper radiator hose and flush the radiator. I hope this helps!!!!

1995cobra

Donator
when I start the car the fan turns on, I cant tell you what its doing when im driving cause the car is so loud i cant hear much that is going on under the hood.
I took it to a shop and they looked at the thermostat that i put in yesterday, they couldnt believe it was new because of all of the rust that is already on it. they are going to replace it again and put on a new gaskey. they are going to replace the upper radiator hose and flush the radiator. I hope this helps!!!!

Its a Head Gasket. they said my block is fine. they are recommending that i get rid of the car? does anyone know how much it usually cost to fix the head gasket?

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Do it yourself not that hard, get a Chilton manual to guide you or just post pics and we can help... But, cost to replace head gaskets are around $800 I believe its 7 to 9 hours labor plus parts..

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
^^^^ What he said ^^^^ But if you want to do it right, spend another $185 and have them put O-Ring grooves in the cylinder head. No more blown head gaskets in the future.

1995cobra

Donator
^^^^ What he said ^^^^ But if you want to do it right, spend another $185 and have them put O-Ring grooves in the cylinder head. No more blown head gaskets in the future.
thank you for the advice, I still have doubts on if its blown. I have one place saying it is and one place saying its not. How do you tell for sure

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
thank you for the advice, I still have doubts on if its blown. I have one place saying it is and one place saying its not. How do you tell for sure

Use a block tester, also known as a combustion leak tester, to determine if you have exhaust gases in your cooling system. A combustion test kit can be found at NAPA. The part number is 700-1006. I believe the price is less than $50.00.

(NW)Drake

who said that getting old sucks :-P
you also might look at ur freeze plugs they maybe starting to go bad that would explain the rust but also ur water pump maybe going out and not turning enough water. food for thought