• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Rocker Arm Noise

wickedbird

I got my valve covers off yesterday and I didn't seem to pin point where the ticking was coming from. How do I know which one was making the noise? Could it be a bent push rod?

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Remove each rocker and pull the push rod to check it out. Then put the rockers back on and torque them down according to the specifications. Do you have roller rockers? If not, tighten the bolts to 18 - 25 ft lbs.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Here is an excellent video on how to set roller rockers:

Be patient, this takes awhile. Take your time and make certain the Zero Lash is correct. Make certain you add a quarter to a half turn of preload to the car; since you have a supercharger.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Here is an excellent video on how to set roller rockers:

Be patient, this takes awhile. Take your time and make certain the Zero Lash is correct. Make certain you add a quarter to a half turn of preload to the car; since you have a supercharger.

all, this video is showing you how to do Stud Mount roller rockers.. totally different from Pedestal mount.. Nice Video MustangCWO pain in the ass..:) That is why I bought Pedestal Mount heads for my Fox...

wickedbird

46c7c6b1-36f8-a0eb.jpg

These are the pedestal mount rockers that I have and they are not adjustable. Should I go to an adjustable rocker or just re-tourque these and see if the noise goes away?

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
46c7c6b1-36f8-a0eb.jpg

These are the pedestal mount rockers that I have and they are not adjustable. Should I go to an adjustable rocker or just re-tourque these and see if the noise goes away?
Retorque to 18 to 25 ft lbs. I set my torque wrench to 20 ft lbs and have awesome results.

wickedbird

I finally got time this weekend to fix the problem. I tourqued them all down to 20 ftlbs and the noise went away. Once again you guys saved my butt!!! Thanks!!