• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Smoke out of exhaust

Oscar (FOKE)

Donator
Hey guys need some help, my car throws bluish smoke from exhaust, which led me believe it was oil, but it doesnt seem to be burning oil, ive driven the car for about 2k miles and doesnt need any oil at all. It only does it when im at a stop takin off, i dont know if i should be concerned or not. Just fyi, i have no cats on car at the moment, they were clogged up so took them off to be able to drive the car, it did smoke even when it had them on, anyways hope someone can tell me its nothing serious, thanx

Ronnie Friedline

my 91 started smoking and it started to get worse, we figured it was a valve seat gone, or ring, well when we tore it down we found a burnt up valve I had #3 and #7 running lean, didnt know why but as you see in the pics I posted under OKC area I had one injector with a tip gone, and one with a cracked tip, don't know how much difference that makes but I figure it was not good.... I ended up smoking all the way down the highway, I was waiting on it to blow on me... Which would have sucked. Just be very detailed in checking stuff out....

Oscar (FOKE)

Donator
my 91 started smoking and it started to get worse, we figured it was a valve seat gone, or ring, well when we tore it down we found a burnt up valve I had #3 and #7 running lean, didnt know why but as you see in the pics I posted under OKC area I had one injector with a tip gone, and one with a cracked tip, don't know how much difference that makes but I figure it was not good.... I ended up smoking all the way down the highway, I was waiting on it to blow on me... Which would have sucked. Just be very detailed in checking stuff out....
Damn that sucks, well my stang is daily driven, it hasnt gotten worse yet, it only lets out some smoke on take off, other than that it idles pretty good, i would have to drive another gt to feel the difference in power if there is any, i feel the power fine but then again its my first sn95 so im not sure. Was your stang rough idling or missfiring? Or was the only symptom the smoke?

Oscar (FOKE)

Donator
I changes the pcv valve today, drove car around for a while, it was smokin a bit less but still smoking, hopefully that was the problem, hasnt burned any oil or coolant, so i hope its not the head gasket

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
I changes the pcv valve today, drove car around for a while, it was smokin a bit less but still smoking, hopefully that was the problem, hasnt burned any oil or coolant, so i hope its not the head gasket
If you're puffing smoke, especially during acceleration, you should clean fuel system. Sounds like you might have an injector or two hanging open and dumping extra fuel. My car dumps fuel on purpose when I accelerate due to the supercharger.

Oscar (FOKE)

Donator
If you're puffing smoke, especially during acceleration, you should clean fuel system. Sounds like you might have an injector or two hanging open and dumping extra fuel. My car dumps fuel on purpose when I accelerate due to the supercharger.
Oh, dont know how to clean the fuel system, should i add injector cleaner or what should i do? I dont know how to clean fuel system

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Hey guys need some help, my car throws bluish smoke from exhaust, which led me believe it was oil, but it doesnt seem to be burning oil, ive driven the car for about 2k miles and doesnt need any oil at all. It only does it when im at a stop takin off, i dont know if i should be concerned or not. Just fyi, i have no cats on car at the moment, they were clogged up so took them off to be able to drive the car, it did smoke even when it had them on, anyways hope someone can tell me its nothing serious, thanx

Blue smoke is water in your oil.. Pull out your dip stick and put some oil on your finger and tap it together if it turn white you have water in your old... Not good blown head gasket..

Oscar (FOKE)

Donator
Blue smoke is water in your oil.. Pull out your dip stick and put some oil on your finger and tap it together if it turn white you have water in your old... Not good blown head gasket..
I checked that, and the oil seems really clean, so im hoping its not the head gasket, they also told me to turn car on and take radiator cap off and if it was bubbling it would be head gasket but it doesnt do that either.

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
Oh, dont know how to clean the fuel system, should i add injector cleaner or what should i do? I dont know how to clean fuel system
Run your tank down to 1/8th, pour in some Techron fuel injector cleaner, fill with 91 octane and then burn the tank down to 1/8th again before filling. You should also check spark plugs, clean air filter and MAF. All of these items will affect your fuel/air ratio.

Oscar (FOKE)

Donator
Run your tank down to 1/8th, pour in some Techron fuel injector cleaner, fill with 91 octane and then burn the tank down to 1/8th again before filling. You should also check spark plugs, clean air filter and MAF. All of these items will affect your fuel/air ratio.
Ok thanx, i cleaned maf, has new air filter spark plugs gapped right and spark wires, im gonna do the injector cleaner, im at 1/4 tank right now, so hopefully tomorrow ill do that, thanx for the help