• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

thinking of reenlisting. have questions

tkeinia

i was thinking of reenlisting into the navy, formally stationed in san diego.

questions: what are the age requirments? im 40 and turn 41 in july. have 2 years prior service.

i have a honarable discharge, but got out due to pt failure, dd214 has code that i can reenlist.

any advice and help is welcome.

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Gonna be tough to come back in. I know they are making recruiting goals everywhere.

Good luck, you may try to talk with the Army also depending on what your rate was. Alot cross over and they may be able to use your experience.

Gib

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
All you can do is give it a shot. Gib is correct, it is very tough and your age will work against you. If you select a critical field and have experience, you might have a chance.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, it is tough, they are not taking people for Tattoos now in the wrong places... Before they over looked it now it a major issue.

tkeinia

damn that neck tattoo of wicked stangs. lol. i do have two tattoos on my back shoulders.

would it help that i have my degree now from texas a&m san antonio?, its in criminology and i want to work in the legal field. looking into the officer program.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
I am on the phone with him and the NAVY is not taking anyone right now.. Only Seal / Nuc's/ and Reserversits.. NO PRIOR SERVICE..

He said you might be able to go reserves they are going to take you and reduce to 1 pay grade less and stick you in a Job needs of the NAVY only.

Once you go Reserves after 2years you can apply for Full Time Support...

wickedbird

Being a prior recruiter I used to take guys in your situation and refer them to the Army. But, with all the services cutting back it is going to be hard to come back in. Good luck!

Brent Riffel

AF is the same way - with the force reduction going on, getting in the door is becoming more and more competitive. They want either a completely clean record, or skills in a specific area they're needing to fill.

Don't know how the Navy is w/ PT, but the AF has become a real pain in the ass about it, and has been using it as a force reduction tool for a couple years now. I just signed another guy out the door last week for too many PT failures, not by choice.