• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Timing adjuster

Jesse

Donator
What's goin on guys/gals had a couple timing questions. I have read about the differences about valve timing and spark/ignition timing and belive I understang the difference...I have an SCT tunner... it just adjusts the ignition timing correct? (on a 97 saleen, same motor, computer as GT) So I was wondering then does the steeda timing adjuster advance/retard valve timing?http://www.americanmuscle.com/st4tiad9gt.html
And if so that the SCT does not adjust valve timing on my particular year and the steeda timing adjuster does adjust valve timing....is it worth it? How much can I advance (up to +10) on 91 octane running the race tune from SCT?
Just seems like cheap hp if it works like I think it does....thanks
-Jesse

GhostRider

That's interesting, I'm curious to know myself. If it does increase some HP that would be sweet and not a bad way to get the most out of everything... But at the same time, it's not very cheap for only about 10HP. I bet if you call AM and speak to somone with Bama they might be able to answer this for you.

Jesse

Donator
So far as bang for buck, I'd say its not much different than a CAI, and I've found them for cheaper other places, just used this exaple so it would have product description....and I also have a feeling too that with mods it would gain MORE or at least be more usefull, I think that 10hp is for a stock set up kinda like what the SCT tunner says on it's description, but combined with other things can be A LOT more usefull than just a couple hp....been doing a lot of reading on compresion ratios, engine efficiencies and such, and it seems like this could actually be very usefull (if its able to adjust valve timing), in a way that the intake valve would open sooner to start intaking at a better point, but more importantly close sooner so none of the air/fuel escapes and you get more of a "true" compression ratio, because you do lose some. My 2 cents, just looking for expert advise....if I can't figure this thing out lol I'll take your advise Russell and just call the guys at bama...

2K7GTCS

That Steeda part appears to be an ignition timing device to me? It seems to just allow for off-setting the crank trigger.

You're right about wanting to advance the cam. But AFAIK, the camshaft timing is fixed by the indexing of the gears on the shafts inside the valve covers. I believe adjustable cam gears are available to do this.

If you already have an SCT, then the Steeda part really won't help much if at all. From your signature it looks like you have done just about everything you can to make power with the stock cams and heads. Underdrive pulley's maybe?

Jesse

Donator
That Steeda part appears to be an ignition timing device to me? It seems to just allow for off-setting the crank trigger.

You're right about wanting to advance the cam. But AFAIK, the camshaft timing is fixed by the indexing of the gears on the shafts inside the valve covers. I believe adjustable cam gears are available to do this.

If you already have an SCT, then the Steeda part really won't help much if at all. From your signature it looks like you have done just about everything you can to make power with the stock cams and heads. Underdrive pulley's maybe?
thanks that's what I was looking for! I figured that the adjuster most likely wasn't but was hoping! So far as the adjustable cam gears those would have to wait, I made the mistake of buying pi cams thinking I would just "drop em in" lol realizing that on sn-95's at least you gotta take apart half the damn motor to get to the cams, it's not just a simple take off the valve cover (which is a nightmare), and cam covers....

So far as what's next then....I was thinking about throttle body before or if at all U/D pulies just because I hear a lot of mixed things, and hear some charging issues or altinator bogging issues...I already have my lights dim and idle fluxuate for a split second when the high speed fan kicks on if I'm at idle.