• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

What rear differential gear do you recommend for the 4.6L?

W

wickedstangs

What rear differential gear do you recommend?
2V GT: The GT reacts to gear changes much the same way a 5.0 does although the real problem is that they have less torque than a 302.

For stick cars we recommend 3.73 gears. Because of the lack of low end torque, we don't feel 3.55's are enough. The 3.73 gives an excellent increase in acceleration and top speed isn't decreased because you are able to wind out overdrive further. With a 3.73 your rpm in 5th gear at 60 mph will only be 2005, not at all what you might call "too high". As we said, your top speed will not decrease when putting lower (numerically higher) gears in a car with overdrive. You will simply wind out 5th gear further than you could with the higher gears (numerically lower).

For AODE cars, 3.73's are still a good choice but we recommend 4.10 gears. A 4.10 may sound extremely steep, but because the AODE's 1st gear is higher (numerically low) and 4th gear (overdrive) is steeper than the T-5, it's a very good choice for the driver interested in making their car perform better.

4V Cobra: The Cobra has an entirely different engine than most people are used to. It performs best at high rpms, upwards of 7000. It's power band is relatively high due to the deep breathing nature of the two intake valves. When gearing a Cobra, 3.73's just aren't enough. They don't allow the engine to reach its powerband quickly enough. 4.10 gears are an excellent choice and 4.30's are even better. This may sound very steep if you're used to the average 5.0 which needs to be shifted by 5600 rpm. But since this engine will easily rev to 7000 it needs the extra gear and it likes it. 4.30's are our #1 choice, naturally aspirated or supercharged. At 80 mph in fifth with 4.10's the engine only turns about 2700 rpm, completely tolerable.

AutomotiveAlternative

W

wickedstangs

I know alot of guys with 4.10 and still have KB and Whipples, personal choice..

W

wickedstangs

I would put, 4.30 I will let wickedcobra chime in soon...

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
well i like to drive 80-90 with cruise control lol i know with 4.10's ill have to step down to 75 and with 4.30's ill have to step down to 70 then ill get passed by people in ford EDGE's FTL

W

wickedstangs

VP read this:
4V Cobra: The Cobra has an entirely different engine than most people are used to. It performs best at high rpms, upwards of 7000. It's power band is relatively high due to the deep breathing nature of the two intake valves. When gearing a Cobra, 3.73's just aren't enough. They don't allow the engine to reach its powerband quickly enough. 4.10 gears are an excellent choice and 4.30's are even better. This may sound very steep if you're used to the average 5.0 which needs to be shifted by 5600 rpm. But since this engine will easily rev to 7000 it needs the extra gear and it likes it. 4.30's are our #1 choice, naturally aspirated or supercharged. At 80 mph in fifth with 4.10's the engine only turns about 2700 rpm, completely tolerable.

And when your done. Read This:

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
i just read the same thing for the 3rd time jk lol i understand that but where were you a couple months ago when i was asking all these things!

W

wickedstangs

I going to find the post were I keep saying 4.30 and you and beejay keep saying No too much gear.. And just blew me off.. Young bucks will never learn:) Have you every heard of the saying listen to you elders:)

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
yes i have i just texted chris. the shop he ordered from is back ordered so im gonna see if he can change the order to 4.30's how bout that old man! if you were on WS to support us members come times we could listen to the elders mr 71% activity :) jk but i just texted him

W

wickedstangs

hey don't worry your going to be happy.. The only big difference in the 4.30 and 4.10 is first gear and ofcourse all the other gears but, not as much as first..

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
well either way its an upgrade form what im at now 3.27's and what i was atlast year 3.73's

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
one question for the elders......4.30's are great in your cobra...because of the gearing in the t-56, but will the 96 cobra's tranny react differently? your 4.30's you cruise at 2500rpm at 80ish, what will VP cruise at 80? 3k?3500??