• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5.0 running rough

Josh40601

Hello everyone, I have been trying to get my car to run, and run well for that late little bit, but seem to be failing horribly. I have set the timing in the car twice, all the wires are good, the plugs are good, and all the vaccum lines are connected. For some reason it is still having a hard time running. Once im driving, it is fine, but everytime i stop, it almost kills the car. When i first start the car, i have to hold the pedal down a bit to keep the car running. Anyone have a clue what is going on?

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
almost sounds like the tune is bad, do have you added any mods yet?

M

Mustangcwo

Alright here we go.

First, clean your MAF sensor and the throttle body and see if that works.

Next, you have to check the TPS. There is a black plastic piece located on top of your throttle body. There is a green wire and a black wire connected to it. Take a multi meter and hook it up to these wires and then turn on the key. It should read around .98 volts DC. If not, loosen the two screws on the sensor and move it around until it reads properly and then tighten up the two screws.

Let me know if this helps.

yosemiddysam

Donator
I honestly would try exactly what CWO said first. Those two alone make a world of difference and are highly overlooked.

Josh40601

alright guys, I have cleaned the MAF, the IAC (which by the way was BLACK on the inside), and put it all back together to find the battery is now dead. ugh... Its always one thing after another. I got a set of Jumper cables, hopefully we can get this fixed. CWO, If cleaning these two, I will definitely move on to the TPS. I'll keep you guys posted....

Now I have another problem.... The car will not shift out of first. Reverse, neutral, park and drive all work, but once in drive, it stays in first. The TV cable is on and has been reset. I was told by Dave there at Miramar it could be the governor in the back of the transmission. He told me that the newer Mustangs (94-98) were notorious for the governor getting dirty and causing shift problems. I am just trying to see if anyone else has had this problem.

M

Mustangcwo

That's a new one, have not heard that before. Dave is very reliable and gives out great advice. I would check the governor first and let us know how it goes. If that does not fix the problem, I should have some more ideas for you.

Josh40601

didnt fix the problem.... I give up. I'm taking it to Kearny Mesa Ford to have them diagnose it. If the tranny is shot, I'm doing a T5 swap

Josh40601

as far as the running rough, I charged the battery and it is running better, but still not too good. I ordered a new IAC and going to adjust the TPS like CWO said to do, and have Kearny Mesa Ford replace all the vaccum lines, then go from there