• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Had a bad day at the dyno!

atlblue98gt

Greer, SC
It started out good. We had 7 or us from WS that drove up together. There was tons of mustangs there. I Was all prepped and ready. I filled up my bottle yesterday. ($40) I changed my oil last night and washed car. Well we got to the dyno and I signed up. I was sixth in line. So I went to start heating up my bottle. I got my torch out and started away. It was full and cold so I thought it would take a little while to hear up. After about 10 min the guage only read 350 psi and was slowly getting to 400. So I heat it for about 10 min longer and the guage still didnt move. I stopped for a minute, checked all my fittings and all was good. About 5 minutes later I went to start heating again. POW!!! The release valve went off. Talking about scarring the S-H-I-T out of you. Having an open flame with your trunk full of nitrous. It put out the flame and I about hit my head leanning out of the trunk. I get my gloves to cut the valve off. But all was lost.$40 goes down the drain. So I ask around and found someone that had a bottle kind enough to let me use theirs just for the dyno run. TOTALLY FREE. I even tried to pay him. He said No, that hes been there before. LOL. I love how mustang guys stick together. So I get on the dyno and make a motor pull. And all is well. Went to hit the juice and it leaned out just by hitting it a little. So he tries it again only taking it to 4700 before it starts to lean out again. It hit 391 hp at 3700. Below is dyno sheet. So I'm in search of a svt focus pump.
SDC12554.JPG

atlblue98gt

Greer, SC
it didnt get that hot. Not hot to touch. Just heated up to fast and blew off. Just gotta replace the washer in there. And that guy used jb weld to close up the blow off valve and caused the bottle to explode.

IgottaV8

Wickedstangs Road Racing Team
Staff member
Board Member
That's what they have bottle wrmers for man, I would never put on open flame next to something like that man.

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
decent numbers. glad it wasnt worse. better get that pump and get back on the same dyno to see numbersdifference

Paul Huizenga

it didnt get that hot. Not hot to touch. Just heated up to fast and blew off. Just gotta replace the washer in there. And that guy used jb weld to close up the blow off valve and caused the bottle to explode.

It got hot enough to push out a 3000 PSI burst disc. Has nothing to do with how quick it got hot.

But I've said what I needed to say, and I'll leave it alone. People torch bottles every day, and the hammer usually falls on an empty cylinder when they do, so it's hard to convince them to stop pulling the trigger.

Xodus989

Every time you heat up your bottle with a torch you're ****ing with the integrity of your bottle... You're lucky nobody got hurt. Seriously, just buy a bottle warmer. It's only what, 80 bucks?

atlblue98gt

Greer, SC
is it variable speed. Will it fit in my 98 hat? I know the svt focus is plug and play. I tried the 97 single speed and had to hack up my hat to make fit. And it burned up after a year. I bought a whole new pump basket and all last year.