• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

help, i have a problem

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
okay, so im driving down the road today and everything is fine, all of the sudden my lights go dim and my volts go down to about 9. i drive it the remaining 15 miles to work and park it without a problem other than dim lights and low volts. go an restart it and it doesnt work. i check the alternator and battery and both are fine. i even put a brand new battery in at work to verify, and it wont work either. i looked at all the grounds and all seems to be well. has anyone had this happen before, is there a possibility of a fuse link, or could it be a loose wire. i have not checked the wires on the starter yet, could that affect anything. remember, it did this while it was running. any help would be great

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
Okay, so, heres an update. I think its two separate issues. I went out, jumped points on the starter soliniod and it fired right up. I think my clutch safety switch is going bad intermittantly. Anyone ever had problems with this, or know how to change it? after that we pumped the clutch a few times and it started with the key like nothing was wrong. Second is the phantom loose wire that is took my voltage down earlier, but is now working fine. Gotta chase it. Damn

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
Thats what I was going to say BJ sounds like starter solinoid. My falcon did that back in the day and I carried a screw driver aroudn for a while till i got paid

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
no, the soliniod is good. i replaced it about 8 months ago, and tested it today (from batt pos to small post) it fired right up. now the voltage problem has dissappeared, and im just fighting the clutch switch. i connects sometimes, and others it doesnt. this weekend i am gonna throw a jumper wire across it and be done with it. then i just chase the loose ground

M

Mustangcwo

Good work BJ. The clutch switch is a pain in the rear and I "DO" have the procedure for changing it out. If you want the info, send me a pm with an email address and I'll send you a pdf file.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
Okay, so a few new problems have come up. First....when i am going about 50-60mph i get a pretty strong vibration in the rear. It gets worse as i try to accellerate in 5th gear. Havent tried it in 4th. I was thinking out of ballence tires, but like i said, it gets worse as i accellerate. And its kinda off and on, not constant. U joint maybe. Anyone else have this issue

second. Flooding. I dont know why my car is so damn rich. Sometimes when i go to start it it wont fire. Then i turn my pump off and start it and it fires right up. Any ideas??

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I had that vibration problem in mine and turned out to be my gears. Turned out to be loose bolts, might want to check it to rule it out.

M

Mustangcwo

Swap the front and rear wheels and take it out for a spin. It will look funny, but it will tell you if it's your tires/wheels out of balance. Next, you need to check the u-joints and driveshaft. The driveshaft usually has a weight that sometimes comes off the shaft. Lastly, check out the rear gears and pray that's no the problem.....GOOD LUCK!!!

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
sorry i havent been on in awhile. my internet dies, but thanks for all the info. i cant swap front and rear tires, but balancing them is not an issue. also, i am gonna just replace the ujoints. im sure it had a lot of strain on it when the pinion nut for loose and vibrated away. if that dont fix it i will jsut bring it back to the shop and tell them they messed something up and to fix it. thanks again for all the help guys. i hope its not in the pumpkin