• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Installing the battery relocation isolation switch

M

Mustangcwo

Today I decided to make the battery disconnect switch on my 1987 GT function properly. After reading many posts around the forums, I realized that the information is very vague and nobody explains how to isolate the alternator. Well here you go:

The stock G2 alternator wiring is as follows:

2G-ALT_wiring.gif

The only change to the diagram is the color of the wire and location as it hooks to the battery. The color of the wire is green (not red as shown above) and has a 14GA Fusible Link. The wire is connected to the starter solenoid and is easily removeable. Here is a pic of the wire:

001-1.jpg

Cut this wire about 2" from the fusible link and then run a wire from the battery side of your disconnect switch to the Alternator wire that was just cut.
I used a 10 gauge wire and ran it inside the car and through the firewall up to the solenoid area. Next, I crimped a fusible link between the green wire (alt out/one that was cut 2" back) to the newly run 10 gauge wire. Now, if the wire grounds inside the car, the fusible link will prevent any fires.

I fired up the car, turned off the battery isolation switch and the car shutdown immediately. :rock:

Update: I took the car out for the first test drive and the output from the alternator was not up to par. When I followed the new connection from the green wire back another 2", I found the return wire to the voltage regulator. I cut this wire about 2" back from where it joined the green wire and added a jumper wire up to the starter solenoid. Now the alternator is once again putting out full power and my cutout switch is fully functional.

The new jumper wire is only a signal wire that returns to the voltage regulator mounted to the alternator. In the diagram above, it is the yellow wire with the white stripe.

M

Mustangcwo

wow, i would have done it ghetto. run a cable from my stock pos connection to the rear of the car.....

Beejay, you still have to run the positive cable from the starter solenoid back to the battery. However, you need to wire in the alternator as well to kill all of the power. If you just run one or the other, the car will not shut down.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
why not? if you take the stock battery connection. with all of the wires from the alternator, starter soloniod etc. run one large wire from all of them ot the back of the car. im not saying its the right way, but wouldnt it still work?

M

Mustangcwo

No Beejay, one wire will not work you have to split the alternator wire from the rest of the wires. The battery cable to the starter solenoid comes from the outlet of the disconnect switch. The alternator wire goes to the inlet side of the disconnect switch.

I'll try to draw something up by hand using the diagram above.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
oh, i looked into it a little more, i get it. but since i didnt know, i would have done it all ****ed up. hhahaha