• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

New California Mileage Tax??????

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
from SEMA Action Network

California Bill to Create “Road Usage Fee” Pilot Program Signed Into Law
Legislation (S.B. 1077) to establish an advisory committee to study a road usage fee was signed into law by California Governor Jerry Brown. Under the new law, the group will propose the tax as an alternative to the gas tax and make recommendations on the design of a pilot program.
According to supporters, a road usage fee will distribute the gas tax burden across all vehicles regardless of fuel source and minimize the impact of the current regressive gas tax structure. According to opponents, the law will penalize national efforts to create a more fuel efficient vehicle fleet by taxing drivers based on vehicle mileage. As gas tax revenues decrease due to hybrid and electric vehicle ownership, states are looking for new sources of funding for pet projects.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
You know the funny thing is that if you have a gas guzzler, this could actually make it cheaper to drive (except that cost would come all at once vice spread out each time you fill the take up)

So California penalizes you for having a hot rod through ridiculous smog laws, and now they want to penalize you for being Eco-friendly too. You just can't win lol. They did it to themselves, providing incentives for people to drive hybrids (car pool lane and registration discounts) and now they aren't making enough money off the gas taxes.

For anyone that was curious, California gas tax is 65 cents per gallon. The proposal is to get rid of that, making gas 65 cents less per gallon, and charge you 5 cents per mile driven at registration time. So if you drive a big truck or hot rod, you can come out on top. And if you are able to register out of state, then you're REALLY winning because you get way cheaper gas and no mileage fee lol.

Wondering how they would be able to measure how many miles are driven each year on our vehicles. I'm assuming some kinda data recorder, but that would violate a whole slew of privacy laws.

blown347

Resident Bracket Racer
Donator
Wondering how they would be able to measure how many miles are driven each year on our vehicles. I'm assuming some kinda data recorder, but that would violate a whole slew of privacy laws.
I'd imagine it would go off whatever the odometer reading is when you pay your registration.

The plan right now is to do a "trial run" in 2016 in a couple cities, then a committee would report back it's findings and if approved they would have to get another bill passed in order to implement it statewide starting 2018.

Difference of previous years registration odometer reading and reading at time of registration I would assume.