• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

sloppy steering

96Saleen

i posted something about this a while back and i have tried everything that everyone said to do but nothing helped, replaced the steering shaft and the rack steering gear assembly, and i still get the play in my wheel, i think i have narrowed it down to the caster camber plates, i have the Maximum motorsports ones but they dont give me enough play to get the caster camber at 0, the wheel tilt in at the top. any suggestions on a fix?

96Saleen

i get treadwear on the inside of my tires real bad, my sterring has alot of play in it, and ive replaced the steering shaft and the steering gear to OEM, and i checked my tie rod ends and they are still good, i figured all it could be is the caster camber plates, i have the maximum motorsports ones and they dont provide enough play to adjust fully

BadBullitt

Old Guys Rule!
have you checked the rubber bushings where the steering tack connects to the k-member, they might be worn.

vnmous snake

yea i have the same problem on my 97 cobra and it only has 32000 on it and the caster cambers r the stock ones

Renegade

the wear is most likely your alignment, and not trying to be an *ss hole, but you have a sn95, the steering is sloppy on those cars, my mach 1 has sloppy steering, its their nature

Renegade

yeah, you basically have to start upgrading the entire steering and suspension system with upgraded components, like more solid aftermarket rack bushings, k member, control arms,stuff like that, he is already headed in the right direction by replacing the shaft and the rack. also a stiffer spring and shock set up will help the steering feel more solid