• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Powder Coat and San Blast and Soda Blast

infidel

I had a few parts that I was going to send off to get sand blasted and powder coated. Well the more I thought about it and realizing the price seemed a little high I decided to say "F it" and do what any stupid man would do lol and bought a soda blaster and a sand blaster. I tried a soda blaster through harbor freight and it was garbage. I returned it and went with a combo from eastwood. I am very satisfied with the machine but it was making my driveway look like a beach with all the media shot all over. Next was the powder coating , so I then went with the eastwood again and bought a dual voltage powder coater and a few powders. To collect all the dust I hit up harbor freight for a blast cabinet. I will soon be on my way to powdercoating and it is a blast. It is very easy to use and beats sanding down parts the old fashion way.

IMG_2194.jpg

IMG_2193.jpg

I just bought this tonight along with Red, Ford Blue, and gloss black powders 2 lbs each

p38945.jpg

Dual voltage powdercoating gun on sale at eastwood right now.

IMG_2811.jpg

Well here is a little before and after. This is really easy and convenient for parts on the car. The problem I am encountering is that I have a 33 gal compressor and it runs at 5.9CFM @ 90PSI and I need a larger tank. I am really considering selling mine and buying a larger one so that way I can do it with ease.
IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2814.jpg

IMG_2815.jpg

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2817.jpg

I am off to home depot to go and buy a connection for my oven and a power converter so I can start powder coating tonight.

Well here is the first attempt at powder coating and some pics. I know some ways of making it a little better

IMG_3019.jpg

IMG_3023.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
wow, you beat me to the punch.. Very nice.. Been looking at both those kits from Eastwood..

infidel

Just took this whole venture to a whole new level. My compressor was not cutting it so I had to upgrade it in order to run the proper CFM's required to blast the proper way. NOw I have everything I need and will be going on leave soon so I will be taking orders :)

My goofy ass LOL
IMG_3031.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

infidel

Right now I have been super super busy with other things, like getting my car back on the road. It would be super easy if the wheels were media blasted already and ready for powder though. Hit me up in about 2-3 weeks and I should be available cause we have a 3 week break at wok.

AdaptiveProfessionals

If you need a bigger tank, you should cragislist broken aircompressors, and then run hardlines between what you have and the new tanks, (plug the holes left in the new tank from removing the broken compressor itself) Basically you are creating a cascadin system, and while it doesn't increase the capabilities of your compressor PSI of duty cycle wise, it does allow more volume to cusion duty cycling of what you already have (plus it's cheap). This works greatwith burst usage, such as nail guns, powder coating, painting and such. Not gonna help much with constant use tools, such as die grinders or pnuematic sanders and the like, but it is an option. If you hard mount the new tank, you can attach it using fabbed up air hose, and still be able to disconnect the compressor you have,thus giving you high volume permanent capabilty without losing your portability factor either. Just a thought.

TheKid760

Did you use an old oven to cure it? I have a craftsman Powder Coat gun, but have yet to use it.

Looks good!