• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

stock stereo to amp hook up

stellastang

I recently purchased a 2011 V6 base model mustang so it doesn't have the Shaker stereo. I'm not wanting to replace the stereo just yet (plus the replacement component area is ridiculous in price!!). I'm wanting to keep the stock stereo and hook up a 1000 W Sony Explode and a single 12 RF. I've never hooked an amp to a stock stereo and wondering if it's possible in the Mustangs let alone a newer one. If anyone else has any insight or pointers let me know please? Heck if anyone in San Angelo wants to help, I'm down for a coaching session.

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
I recently purchased a 2011 V6 base model mustang so it doesn't have the Shaker stereo. I'm not wanting to replace the stereo just yet (plus the replacement component area is ridiculous in price!!). I'm wanting to keep the stock stereo and hook up a 1000 W Sony Explode and a single 12 RF. I've never hooked an amp to a stock stereo and wondering if it's possible in the Mustangs let alone a newer one. If anyone else has any insight or pointers let me know please? Heck if anyone in San Angelo wants to help, I'm down for a coaching session.

yes, it is possible.. All you need in an line level converter..
resource.jpg
Does not have to be the one shown they make many different ones..

Interesting! Now I know. I have the Shaker system in mine, but it didn't come with an amplifier. Adding the amp will make a difference between night and day, especially if you have subs or plan to add some in the future.

stellastang

Thank you. I've been doing a lot of research but everything I came across was worthless. My next question is... where exactly would it go? At the AMP or behind the dash? (forgive the blondeness)

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Interesting! Now I know. I have the Shaker system in mine, but it didn't come with an amplifier. Adding the amp will make a difference between night and day, especially if you have subs or plan to add some in the future.
Both the Shaker and Shaker Pro come with Amps already 2013-2014...

wickedstangs

Chula Vista, CA
Staff member
Administrator
Thank you. I've been doing a lot of research but everything I came across was worthless. My next question is... where exactly would it go? At the AMP or behind the dash? (forgive the blondeness)
It taps off your rear speakers and then use the RCA to go to your amp.

I have the 6 speakers and 2 eight-inch subwoofers on the doors. i listen to rap music though. Plus, my old Mustang had the Shaker 1000 (2 ten-inch subs in the trunk, 2 eight-inch subs on the doors, & 6 speakers). So i keep comparing the sound to it.

Sick06Stang

The one you love to hate!!
Don't do it. I did with my shaker 500 and it had shitty sound. Invest in a good deck with rca's. IMO

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2