• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

03 GT trouble shooting

Stangarang03

Hey guys, Stangarang here. As some of you know I've been working on passing smog over the past month, pleased to say that I passed and am now set to drive in the state of California!

Unfortunately I have encountered a handful of problems since. Ill start from the beginning.

Swapped my SR intake plenum and TB for stock parts.
Swapped my JLT CAI for a BBK CAI that is CA smog legal.
Had Ed Hanson's shop weld 4 CATS on my offroad xpipes.
Turned my BAMA 4bank eliminator chip to stock settings.

Passed my SMOG inspection. At this point in time my car ran fine, absolutely no problems.

Once I got home I swapped everything back, besides the new BBK intake (paid $200 might as well use it).

I started up my car and encountered a lot of problems.
-rough idle, bad enough to really shake the car
-exhaust sounds like it might be backfiring (not sure if this is the correct description. Its not a loud bang, more of a subtle pop every 5 seconds or so during idle)
-lack of power and hesitation during acceleration
-knocking sound coming from dash area while acceleration
-after fast acceleration and hard brake car has died (this has happened 2x)
-check engine light (code C1284 oil pressure switch fault)

I then took it all apart thinking I made a mistake, put it back together from the ground up. Still the same problems.

Adjusted my TPS, cleaned my MAF, reset my ECU, base idle reset. Still the same problems.

I've been driving my car for the past week to get to work, but I've been doing my best to limit my mileage before I figure out how to fix it.

Current thoughts: my car might be running too rich. My current BAMA tune is set for my JLT CAI, not my BBK CAI. If I send my chip back to BAMA for a reprogram, it might fix the problem. I dont really want to rip apart my computer and have to ship my chip, so I'm hoping for some other thoughts on the situation.

I have no idea whats going on with the check engine code...I feel like the oil pressure switch is completely irrelevant to my problems considering my car was running like a beast before I messed with all of my intake hardware.

What are you guys thinking?

MUSTANGO2GT

If u aint 1st, your last
I would start by disconnecting the battery for ten or so min to let the comp reset. Sounds like maybe the computer is all frazzled and if that doesn't work set comp to stock settings and see how it run to find out if its the tune or not. I know some of the stuff you tried but doesn't hurt to try again. My number is 8582042495 and I'm free on sat if would like to diagnose these problems or need help. I have an 02gt and have encountered a few of your issues but not all at the same time lol.

After installing my bigger throttle body and intake I have had a rough idle. Fixed it with tune.

I know u said u cleanedyour maf but when mine would get dirty car would die on deceleration.

Sucks u dont have a tuner to change things but I dont think u have a fuel problem.

I live in poway btw.

Stangarang03

I would start by disconnecting the battery for ten or so min to let the comp reset. Sounds like maybe the computer is all frazzled and if that doesn't work set comp to stock settings and see how it run to find out if its the tune or not. I know some of the stuff you tried but doesn't hurt to try again. My number is 8582042495 and I'm free on sat if would like to diagnose these problems or need help. I have an 02gt and have encountered a few of your issues but not all at the same time lol.

After installing my bigger throttle body and intake I have had a rough idle. Fixed it with tune.

I know u said u cleanedyour maf but when mine would get dirty car would die on deceleration.

Sucks u dont have a tuner to change things but I dont think u have a fuel problem.

I live in poway btw.

Thanks for the input, im going to swap my other CAI on right now. Ill let you know what the outcome is.

Stangarang03

Swapped the BBK for the JLT and she's purring like a kitty cat. Now I just have to decide if tearing apart my ECU and shipping in the chip is worth the hassle.

Thanks a ton for the help guys