• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

kenne bell 2.1L

96Saleen

hey im thinking about finally supercharging, i just wanted to see if anyone had any insight as to how this supercharger is. also i wanted to see if anyone knew how much of a pain in the ass it is to put one in, i.e. moving the alternator and such. if anyone can let me know anything it would be a big help, thanks

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
I just had one put in last month for my car. I can't tell you how difficult it is, but I'm thinking its not simple. But I know the alternator was moved and is installed backward. It is at least a 14 hrs install job. It is a blast and I would highly recommend it. I do recommend getting the intercooler with it.

96Saleen

yea im getting the intercooled kit, does it have that anoying whine that the older ones have? and does it accualy give the power that was on the site

KillerBee

does it have that anoying whine that the older ones have?
if you mean the whine that the cobras make then yes(wich personally i love) then yes if you want something that doesnt make that sound then i would look at a vortech but in all honesty i think a KB is probly a lil better

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
yea im getting the intercooled kit, does it have that anoying whine that the older ones have? and does it accualy give the power that was on the site

The whine is not really noticeable when idle or normal acceleration. But when you're punching it, then yes, the whine is really noticeable. As for the power gain as advertise. I say its pretty close, although I haven't really got an accurate reading but its at least a 100 rwhp gain.

Stangguy

Hey 96saleen,

We installed Danny's Kenne Bell for him. It is pretty difficult to do and does take a bit of time. If you don't have a lot experience working on an engine like this, then I recommend getting it installed professionally or at least get help from someone who has done one. The power they advertise is pretty close to what they usually do. I see you have a 96 Saleen, could you tell us a little more about it. Like what do you have done to it, the mileage, etc. If you'd like some quotes feel free to PM me or give us a call.

sdsubzero4

Spring Valley, CA
Highly recommend RPMM to do your install if you need it done professionally. No issue and run like a champ. Like I posted before, love the KB.

96Saleen

yea its a 96 4.6. i got it ported and polished, 75mm throttle body, rebuilt t45 trans, 3.5.5 gearing, borla exhaust, PI heads, stange 2 clutch with quick release. thats about it really. it puts out decent power now but the KB should put it right around where i want it as a streeet car. the cars got 92k on it. yea i would definetly go to RPMM but im not in SD, navy moved me to VA so im not sure of any of the shops around here yet.

Stangguy

Well thanks for serving! We can still help you out if you like. If you'd like me to get some price quotes together for the supercharger just let me know! It sounds like you got a nice car there. Wish you were local so we could check it out.

96Saleen

yea i wish i was still local too, there is no scene out here at all. i got my buddy getting me the kit for an awsome price, but thanks alot anyway.

Mach1Marauder

yea its a 96 4.6. i got it ported and polished, 75mm throttle body, rebuilt t45 trans, 3.5.5 gearing, borla exhaust, PI heads, stange 2 clutch with quick release. thats about it really. it puts out decent power now but the KB should put it right around where i want it as a streeet car. the cars got 92k on it. yea i would definetly go to RPMM but im not in SD, navy moved me to VA so im not sure of any of the shops around here yet.

With the PI heads on a non-PI block, you may not be able to run much boost with the raise in compression from the head swap.