• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Clutch Carnage

Daniboy1983

Well this weekend I changed the clutch along with the trans and oil pan in my car, and that is what I found. (crappy cell phone pic)

0212001821.jpg

It WAS a Ford Racing King Cobra clutch, but now its just pieces. It let go under full power at about 135mph or so. Not during a crazy 5-6k launch or anything stupid. I was just cruising and lost power. Sounded horrific after I killed the motor and coasted to a stop. I heard all kinds of grinding and scratching sounds. Anyway I just figured I'd share the carnage.

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
i had a king cobra clutch in my car too. it exploded at the track. the pucks on the disc were disentegrated. it was pretty gnarley

sdtraviesosd

eeeeeeeeeeew. No damage to the housing or input shaft? I inspect everything, since it flung all those pieces around while you were decelerating from 130... errrr i mean 65..? right :D

M

Mustangcwo

Here is my $.02 on clutches:

If you are building a high tq, high hp engine, then you need to conduct some research on the clutch you are installing.

First of all, I recommend the Stage 3 clutch. It has increased gripping power...helps to save the flywheel and also has a fanblade design that allows for better cooling and less chance of ending up in pieces.

Secondly, ensure the company is using a heavy-duty sprung center unit that boasts heat treated springs and retainer rivets for the maximum power and durability.

Lastly, Ensure the clutch is certified. The clutch should specify: S.F.I. specification 1.1 on the box. Otherwise, you are rolling the dice.

This is what I'm running in my car along with the matching chrome-molly flywheel:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-R...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5d280260ce

Yes, a $600 clutch for under $200.

Paul Huizenga

Here is my $.02 on clutches:

If you are building a high tq, high hp engine, then you need to conduct some research on the clutch you are installing.

First of all, I recommend the Stage 3 clutch. It has increased gripping power...helps to save the flywheel and also has a fanblade design that allows for better cooling and less chance of ending up in pieces.

Secondly, ensure the company is using a heavy-duty sprung center unit that boasts heat treated springs and retainer rivets for the maximum power and durability.

Lastly, Ensure the clutch is certified. The clutch should specify: S.F.I. specification 1.1 on the box. Otherwise, you are rolling the dice.

This is what I'm running in my car along with the matching chrome-molly flywheel:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/F1-R...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5d280260ce

Yes, a $600 clutch for under $200.

One quibble - "stage 3" isn't really a meaningful description, since every manufacturer has a different idea of what that means. Puck material and count, sprung or solid hub, with or without marcel - all of those can vary.

Daniboy1983

eeeeeeeeeeew. No damage to the housing or input shaft? I inspect everything, since it flung all those pieces around while you were decelerating from 130... errrr i mean 65..? right :D

Surprisingly the clutch was the only thing I found broken. I didn't really look at the trans very well since it was an old srod 4 speed and I was replacing it with a 3550. The housing looked good with no signs of any damage. Luckily the pressure plate contained almost all of it.

Oh and I drove the car back to the barracks tonight with no exhaust, and now I really really wish I didn't have to put it all back together. I love running open headers!!!:rock:

Also the bellhousing for the srod bolted right up to the 3550.