• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

engine build questions

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
I know there are people that will tell you it's possible and blah, blah, blah, but the bottom line is once your in a 500hp supercharged car gas mileage is not usually your main concern. People do not build 500hp monsters with gas mileage in mind. Your gas mileage will mostly depend on your foot. Mav, makes some good points and sometimes we all have to live and learn. You want all of the best **** for good insurance and that's great, but there are alot of variables and things that can still go wrong with the car. You may not break the block in half, but that doesn't mean you can't break an aluminum head in half under full boost.

Moral of the story here is I don't think that you can have the 500hp mustang with the reliability of my 09 carolla.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
very true.....gas mileage isnt a huge concern, but i should be able to have it streetable. i want it comfortable, and smooth. even a smooth idle. i dont want a race car...i want a streetcar. i know it wont be as reliable as a new corrola, but for the most part i drive my car really easy. its not gonna bet beat on 24/7, but when i do decide to get on it i dont want to worry. i know im picky as hell, but if i start early maybe i can have a good plan by the time to start the build

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
BJ, instead of dropping a grip on an engine and then the tranny and crap, just save up and buy a used Termy, or a used Mach 1 and throw a Whipple on it......Hell just buy a Mach with a S/C already on it. Yes it will run you 3 times the price of the engine you want but it is what you really want.....a TERMY.......

They can be had for as low as 18K now and in another year they will be lower due to gas costs and stuff.

Gib

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
HOLY ****, where did you come from?? lol.

i know, and i termy with SC upgrade for 25k is still a possibility, but i love my fox, i never want to part with it. i know its not uniquie, but its more diverse than the cobras on the road. they all make huge power, but for the most part have the same mods. ported eaton w/ bolt ons. maybe a whipple or KB, but not much more makes them different. i want a car that will stand out in every aspect. suspension, power.(even tho 500HP is not the most by an means, its a very respectable number)

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
That was my second response to this topic.....

Well if you want to STAND OUT.....goto Stangpede.....LOL

Who cares if a Termy is COMMON, or that they all get the same mods.....no matter what you are building they all get the same mods....Foxes included! If you dont get the termy you will still want it and then eventually end up buying one that is wore out. Get a used one soon so there are still a few unmol;ested ones out there. Then make it yours by modifying to your liking.

Gib

dope3

beejay31000 said:
yeah, i talked to emerson at last call racing just a minute ago. with the t-56 everything will change and 4.10's will be fine. i will probably try that. hes gonna send me a quote and we will sit down and make a plan. he says i can leave my car there and he will build it as i send money to him while i am gone. iim excited again. CPR said it wasnt possible with my budget so i was thinking of other routes, but everyone else says it is. looks like the fox might be in for an overhaul in about a year or less. i know what i want, just dont know how to get it there. i ahve ideas, but nothing is set in stone.

-daily drivable and reliable with reasonable gas mileage.
-500hp
-comfortable ride
-extremely good handling
-ac
-heat
-5lug
-all wheel disc
-exterior stuff, not sure.

whatever i get done i want it done right, and bullitproof so i dont have to worry about it breaking. this will be my only car. the wife is getting the suv for herself.

go with this daily driver you cant go wrong like i said you have a good plain and you have someone to talk to about it

VP_07SRT8

Tell the cops nothing!
Staff member
Board Member
im already in too deep in mods to go that route gibs. termy is nice though and so is the mach 1 im not going to disagree with you at all on the idea

maverick169v

WS Posting God
beejay31000 said:
why am i gonna re-enlist. GRR...confusion

no kidding, why would you re up if your mos has been that bad for you? theres no money in the marine corps man. dont get me wrong i love it, i will miss it but im moving on to bigger things.

which leads me to this. i promised myself i would buy a z06 if i got into the chp. i eas next october and will be selling my car a few months before i get out. let it go for like 12-13k ive got more than that in receipts. then you still have close to 10k to do whatever. dont ask me what, maybe a built long block and small pulley. just saying man.

Sinful

I'm against stroking a stock 302 shortblock because the weak link will always be the block. The stock rods, stock pistons can hold more power than the block itself, so why upgrade the internals and not the block? And if you are going with a aftermarket or beefier block, a stroker kit makes sense for many reassons.

Solid vs hyd roller.

Solid valvetrains are really bad ass, you can rev the motor high with the right heads and intake. The sound of a solid roller setup with the right exhaust system is pure sexy. Also they are easier to adjust rockers because you're not dealing with hyd roller lifters. And as far as being unreliable, I don't have any personal experience, some say with good valvetrain parts you don't need to worry, I only went as far as installing them in a R336ci and almost had me convinced by just looking and installing the parts.

Negative
Solid roller valvetrain parts are expensive and shortcuts are not recommended here. You drop a valve at high RPMs, which could happen with cheap parts and it's all over. Def not smog legal or street friendly because the cam is not smog legal to begin with, it has crazy lift numbers and the motor will sound like its on steroids.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
But he doesn't want to race it. He wants it for street and hydraulic is better for longevity than solid. Solid roller lifters and cams wear. There is virtually no wear with a hydraulic setup.

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
orange395w said:
But he doesn't want to race it. He wants it for street and hydraulic is better for longevity than solid. Solid roller lifters and cams wear. There is virtually no wear with a hydraulic setup.

yeah, street car. as i said i am junking the stock block and getting something strong. and like orange stated i need the longevity of a roller block

MAV, my MOS has been bad, but who says i have to stay in it? LAT MOVE! the benifite of healthcare for me outweigh everything. i have 2 kids, thats expensive. i also want the bonus to save for a house when i do eventually get out. i make 52k a year now as a lance (picking up CPL finally after 4 years, $400 a month more) so i wont take a job when i get out for less than 70k a year, thats not easy to find as a diesel mech.

DSGimportslayer

DSG in the hisouse!
Staff member
ok so the boss 302 may not be the answer but bullet proof comes with a price. and sometimes thats not enough, parts break, it happens but in the end what ever route you decide to take think about it. there are alot of people on here that have a lot of experience, ideas, not to say one is better than the other but maybe a combonation of different ideas put together may get you to where you want to be.

orange395w

OG MEMBER
Staff member
If you are not a grunt I don't ever want to hear you say your MOS sucks! I never even saw combat in my 6years as a grunt and I assure you grunt life is 1000x worse than the wing!

beejay31000

BULLWINKLE
im not a grunt, but have wittnessed combat...its not pretty. as far as my MOS sucking, its the promotion rate that im talking about