• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Looking for info on complete Turbo Kits

SnakeDrvr

Hey all, been looking for a complete Turbo Kit for my '94 Cobra. I have found some, but not sure which way I really want to go. I currently have a 302 Block bored .30 over. From what I know and what I have always been told is that the 302 block is good for about 550hp. Which some say it will hold more, some say it won't! Any-who, I've found kits from B&G, Boost Brothers, and some of the big names. But, this is my first Forced Induction build and I am a little out of the loop on which kit to really go after. I've got all the other mods done such as heads, cam, pistons and so on. So any help with some info on other kits and/or your experience with them would be greatly appreciated!

SnakeDrvr

Yeah I'm kicking that idea around too and leaning heavily towards that, just wanting to get all the info on whats out there before I get started buying things. I know a guy around here that can make all the tubes. Just need to figure out which turbo I want to go with the setup that I have.

Renegade

idk anything bout different turbos except that ive always heard to go with a ball bearing turbo

Ford1288

Donator
Have you checked out Hellion? DIY is cool but there is so much science that goes into turbo kits I wouldnt bother. Talk to Hellion and tell them your setup. Another guy in NC altbluegt also knows alot about turbos and is building his setup now. Hopefully he chimes in for ya.

yosemiddysam

Donator
I dont know anything about Turbo kits........I know they make good power but always seemed like too many issues with tuning/install with me.

GodSpeed

Here is a resource that I use when looking at turbo setups. http://www.turbomustangs.com/ There is alot of info over there so take a look around. I've been kicking this idea around as well(DIY) and once I get done with school, something may be happening.

WoundUpWindsorBoi

As far as turbos go they have trim sizes obviously just like a centrifugal s/c. What trim you choose basically decides where ur motor will make power. With a smaller turbo you will get a faster spool but the tubro will be working a lot more. And obviously boost with a smaller turbo is limited. But bigger isn't always better. With a street car you prob wouldn't need anymore than a 76mm, and that is prob pushing it. With a small turbo on a 302 at 12-15psi you could be looking at well into the 400+whp range maybe more depending on mods. I have a bunch of comparison information on different size turbos. And with a litle bit of information I can actually calculate which turbo would be the most efficient for your combination.

CPRstreetmachines

Stay away from the ON3 and boost brothers non fitting junk. B&G makes good stuff. 10 on a stock engine should get you about 400rwhp.

Maverick

Now if they have a bolt on for a 4.6 engine - I would have to weigh the pro and cons over super charger vs. turbo.

$low$tang

I was also toying with the idea of a turbo. I have an 07 v6. 4.0 i think. I dont want crazy HP but around 300-350, Just enough to constitute my changing my name. LOL. But Where would i go for a kit and what could i expect HP wise. Unlike another guy i saw up here money IS an issue. I want quality stuff but lets keep it real. The bills come first.

TTNyteMare

I'll have to agree with everyone else on this one, Hellion by far makes the simplest kits for the late-model mustang.

fangs99

The Hellion kits are cheaper for pushrod cars..... The turbo size is based on power level and spool rpm.... And a 76mm is way to big for a stock block 302. Your block is good for 500 rwhp with a main gurtle....... You only need a 64-67mm turbo with a .91AR what fuel system do you have? What MAF? And Programer?.....do you have a K-member?..... This is all the stuff a kit will cover....

northerncountry

Fangs is on point with the 302 and the Hellion systems as for slow stang look into STS Turbo systems they have bolt on kits for V;6's and make good power and sound nasty to boot! you will get about 350 hp with the kit and get better mpg off the boost then you do now!

fangs99

My 76mm turbo makes 631 rwhp on just 13 lbs and 15 degrees of timing but, it takes a little bit of rpm to spool the turbo even with 10:1 compression ,forward facing headers, and a billet wheel turbo. But unlike a pushrod motor I can spin my 4.6 to 7,000 rpm....