• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

NEW HOOD-The 4 P's

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

I am far from finished but I am very satisfied with the results thus far.

A problem that can plague many painters, new or accomplished is that of "orange peel". This is a term that indicates the paint looks like the skin of an orange after it's applied and dry. It is USUALLY as a result of too low of air pressure at the gun. It's kind of like the textured walls in your home only many times smaller.

This hood has a bit in it but not bad. Color sanding will remove it and polishing will make it look as though it was never there. I tried to take a picture of it but couldn't get it to show in the photos, even on macro settings and up close.

Having used up all my paint, this hood has 5 coats on it. This will allow me to color sand (wet sand) to my heart's desire without the fear of going through to the primer. If you thought sanding the hood was time consuming and laborious, wait until we wet sand! It's the last step before the very satisfying step of polishing where you see the shine materialize before your very eyes!

GT400SC

PM for Decals
OK, I went back out and took a few pics and got one to come out.

This is the dreaded Orange Peel effect. Many times unavoidable and unanticipated but easily corrected with wet sanding. People often freak out at the sight of this but it's easy to fix.

orangepeel.jpg

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Puting vinyl stripes on this hood to match the rest of the car is gonna be a biotch. The center stripe is 22" wide and the outside edges of the center stripe are going to cross right through the hood scoop openings as are the 1" wide outside stripes. I dread it. I considered painting them on but then I'd have to clear coat the whole hood to level the paint.

Here's a partially photoshopped (is that a verb like "Google"?) photo showing what I'm up against. It won't be easy and will require some accurate cutting of the decal. I COULD run the stripe across the floor or entry slope of each opening (triangular area) right up the grilles but it seems to me doing it this way accentuates the openings and makes them stand out. I'm also considering making those triangular approaches and the surrounding lip above the opening a flat black. Haven't decided yet and am open to suggestions.

stripesxxx.jpg

Roushed2

302 Motorsports
that would look awesome only one issue with flat black is you cant wax it or it wont be flat black anymore

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Yeah, I thought of that too. I think it should be left glossy as it is.

This reminds me, I have to order more decal vinyl. It takes a couple of weeks to get it in at my friend's sign shop. The color is 305 Geranium Red by Oracal. It's a 8-10 year outdoor vinyl, 2 mil thick and their top of the line material. http://www.oracal.com/ Here's a portion of their color chart:

oracalcolorchart.jpg

Obviously, colors don't look the same on all monitors but you get the idea.

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Here's a cool pic...

I don't care much for the center "ridge" and I've seen Mach hoods by another manufacturer that don't have it but I can live with it. Will make adding the decal strip a little tougher though.

vents.jpg

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
Looks great.....I wish I could paint like that...

Gib

Gibs

Staff member
Global Moderator
I tried and just could not get it some years back..... I would be willing to pay you to paint some small parts off the 67 after I get them cleaned and pretty again.....Chassis Black kind of stuff.

I got a water heater in my garage so I can not mess around painting in there or.....BOOM....Well I do have insurance....LOL

Gib

GT400SC

PM for Decals
When you're ready, let me know what you have and we'll talk. I'm not in the business of painting and don't want to take anything away from Mav and his aspirations but if I can help out, let me know.

Tim

Roushed2

302 Motorsports
your hood will look great when its done. I would clear coat the stripes though GT400

You dont wanty them to get torn or chipped or fade and fading can happen very easy even if they are the best of the best thats a big issue shelbys are having right now is fading stripes

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Roushed2 said:
your hood will look great when its done. I would clear coat the stripes though GT400

The problem with that idea is that the rest of the stripes are obviously vinyl and I can replace them at any time. Removal is easy, especially if you park this black car out in the midday sun for a couple of hours before peeling them off.

Having paint specially mixed to match the stripes is easy enough but who can gaurantee the painted stripes will fade at the same rate as the vinyl ones? What if the vinyl ones fade and the painted ones don't? Then do I go back and paint the stripes on the bumpers, roof and trunk too and then clearcoat the whole car? Nah....Decal is the way to go for consistency.

These aren't going to fade anytime soon. You have to remember, this car at 3 1/2 years old only has 5600 miles on it. It spends 99% of it's life covered in the garage and NOT in any sunlight. If I use vinyl on the hood, then they'll all fade pretty much equally. The stripes on the car now were only put on in February anyway, so they're as good as new. And if you wax vinyl stripes like you do the rest of the car, they last even longer and keep their gloss.

Hood is now on top of the car in the garage for the next few weeks. Pic to follow.

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Then how do I removed them if I decide to go for an appearance change?

And do you mean clearcoat ALL the vinyl stripes? That's the WHOLE car!

And that would make them TWICE as thick as they already are (2 mil).

GT400SC

PM for Decals
Oh man, what a "masking" nightmare that would be.

I have had three different stripe setups on this car (this is number 3). I doubt they'll fade anytime before I pull them off and change designs. I used to have grey stripes before this.

There it sits...getting HARDER by the minute! LOL

roofed.jpg