• Hello there guest and welcome to our forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

off road x pipe w/o tune?

HiHoSilver

As most of you know I am new to the ford world and the mustang world. I am slowly modding my 08 gt. I currently have slp loudmouth axle back and k&n drop in filter.... My soon to be next purchase is either a off road h pipe or x pipe, and mufflers to splice in. Does this require a tune? if so I will wait till i get intake. and are CAI worth it vs a drop in?? Thanks guys!

HiHoSilver

Thank you. I was just wondering cause I was going to go with an off road h pipe,and obviously that means no cats. Didnt know if that would throw a code. Any suggestions for CAI.

blackstallion06

Everrett Wa. Soon to be St. Louis MO.
Donator
CAI is better than a drop in and depending on what one you go with you will need a tune. I recomend getting a hand held tuner SCT or Diablo sport. Most good intakes you can get it as a combo deal.
I got my Diablo and a C&L cold air intake. If I where you I would go with American Muscle and get a C&L cold air intake with a SCT tuner. Remember they are one of our sponsers so you will get a discount.
The question about the o/r X or H pipe is simple. You will not need a tune as subzero said but if you dont do a tune with a O/R X or H you will have a check engine light on. Remember with a tuner you can go in and turn your OB2 sensors
off. They plug right into the cats so you must use a tuner to turn them off or drive around with a check engine light on. I hope this helps. If you have a check engine light on beacuse you didnt turn them off with a tuner you may not know that something else maybe wrong with the car later down the road.

HiHoSilver

Thank you that is basically what I expected from my previous experience modding trucks. But figured I would check with mustang guys, cause I know how testy these cars are about tuning. ....... Best bet would be get items and install all at once with sct handheld?

gmantheman

You may want to re-think the slp lm with an o/r midpipe. IMO the set-up is too loud and obnoxious and the t0ne sounds like crap. SLP LM sound best with stock manifolds and stock catted h. If your set on getting an o/r h or o/r x, I would get resonators/glasspacks such as pypes M80s or magnflow round mufflers and have them welded before the axle.

Xx06RetroGTxX

Camp Pendleton, CA
Donator
I went with O/R H and i threw a cel.. found a forum of how to make "o2 Simulators" out of Spark plug nonfoulers... it worked for me heres the How-To (don mind that its a honda lol.. still worked for me)

crossbreedgt

Honestly in my opinion.. Grab the O/R X-pipe instead of the H.. My buddy has the H-pipe and is about to ditch it for an x-pipe. The mil eliminators that can be self made are a great idea.. I'm about to make some myself. A cai is a great addition and I'm sure you will see that upgrading the throttle body + plenum will produce even more "fun" results.. Keep us posted :)

Xx06RetroGTxX

Camp Pendleton, CA
Donator
as far as the H vs X its all about personal preference.. not a performance difference its all about sound.. the H will give you a little bit lower sound if thats what your goin for but still a louder raspy sound under a load.. whereas an X will give you a lil bit louder raspy sound under less load.. if you want to keep a low sound but still get the performance and volume out of your exhaust.. most ppl will recomend high flow cats

Mustangcwo

Crew Chief
Staff member
Board Member
All great information and yes the differential in torque and HP is minimal. During lower RPMs, the H pipe delivers 2-3lbs of TQ and 2-3 HP more on the upper RPM range the X-pipe delivers the same . In short, it's all about sound preference. Go to You Tube and listen to the different styles of exhaust and combinations until you find the one "YOU" like. Do not listen to what others desire, it's not their car.

HiHoSilver

Thanks guys. I plan on the off road h pipe. and yes i would deff be swapping in some mufflers, and not keeping the slp setup. thanks